Steamed Ragi/Kelvaragu Puttu/Sweet n Savory Finger Millet Recipes
Thinai Maavu/Foxtail Millet Ladoo Recipeand for more millet recipes do check this LINK…
This Post is updated with new pictures
Ingredients for Chola Paniyaram Sorghum or Jowar Appe
White or Red Cholam/Whole Sorghum – 1 n 1/2 Cups (you can use dry corn kernels as well)
Idli Rice – 2 n 1/2 Cups
Vendhayam/Fenugreek – 2tsp
Whole Urad Dhal – 1/2 Cup Plus 2
Tbsp (See Note 1)
Salt n Water
- Soak rice and sorghum together whole night or at least 8hrs (Pic 1).
- Soak the Urad dhal and fenugreek separately for 3 hrs before grinding (Pic 1).
- Grind the soaked stuffs separately as shown in pic and mix all together with salt (Pic 2).
- Cover n allow to ferment in warm place for at least 6 hrs.
- Once fermented (Pic 3), mix bottom to top well n take half of the batter make takda/seasoning with 1/4tsp Mustard Seeds, 2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Chopped Onion (Shallot makes wonder),1-2 Green/Red Chili’s and Few Curry Leaves (Pic 4).
- Hope half of the batter is enough for single serve 3 adults family.
- Heat the Kuzhi paniyaram pan and pour oil in each kuzhi/depression.
- When hot pour spoonful of batter (batter sizzles when pan is well heated) till 3/4th in each.
- Paniyaram/pan cake raises well (Pic 5) n can see bubbles on the top then flip it over (Pic 5) and again cook for few more mins till it reaches golden brown color.
- This paniyaram goes well with tangy side dishes, I have served with Spicy red onion chutney.
- If using split urad dhal then increase the quantity to 3/4th cup.
- The urad dhal should be of good qualtity for the above Rice+Sorghum measurement otherwise take 4:1 measurement or as you do for idli batter.
- Can make Idli/Dosa from this batter too.