After posting the Whole/Multi grain idli dosa batter recipe, few readers asked for this Ragi and brown rice combo and the ratio as most of other ingredients like Kambu/Jowar are hard to get in stores. So here is the recipe for healthy ragi and brown rice idli dosa batter. After shifting to new house I made podi idli with this batter for almost 3 days as we ran out of veggies n other essentials :-). This is an quick fix recipe for lunch box or snack/after school times. Will move on to the recipe…
For Ragi Brown rice batter
Whole grain Ragi/Finger Millet/Kelvaragu – 1 Cup (Can replace with Instant Ragi flour, refer notes)
Raw Brown Rice – 1 Cup (Replace with Idli Rice)
Whole Urad dhal – 1/2 Cup
Fenugreek – 1 n 1/2tsp
Salt n Water as Needed
For Ragi Mini Idli
Cooked Ragi Mini Idlis – 34 Numbers (2 plates)
Idli Milagaai Podi – 1 to 1 n 1/2 Tbsp (Increase or decrease as you like)
Oil – 1 n 1/2 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder- 1-2tsp Optional
Chaat Masala – 1/4tsp (Optional)
Salt – Optional
- Soak rice and ragi over night or at least 5 hours.
- Soak Urad dhal 3 hours prior to grinding.
- Grind then separately, mix salt and allow to ferment at least 5 hours.
- After that mix evenly from top to bottom and pour in oil greased mini idli pans.
- Cook when toothpick inserted comes out clean (Pic 1).
- You can make Idli/Dosa, Paniyaram using the same batter.
- Using spoon remove the mini idlis from pan.
- Heat oil in kadai/pan, add idli milagaai podi and chaat masala if desired.
- Mix well then add the steamed idlis.
- Reduce the flame and stir well so that powder coats well with all idlis (Pic 2) .
- Keep stirring on and off for another 5 minutes in medium flame (Pic 2).
- You can add salt if needed.
- Remove and serve hot.
- Also garnish with chopped coriander leaves if desired.
- If using ragi flour, grind n ferment the rice and urad dhal…after that mix ragi flour ie before making Idli or Dosa.