For to this month Divya’s South vs North Indian bloggers challenge, South Indian teams are challenged with Chana Dhal Burfi by Kirti n North Indian teams are challenged with Hyderabadi Veg dum Biryani by our South Indian team member Swasti Blank. Me n my daughter enjoyed this burfi/halwa thoroughly, Thanks Kirti for this wonderful challenge. Ingredients
Chana Dhal/Bengal Gram – 1 Cup
Whole Milk – 1 n 3/4th Cup
Sugar – 1/2 Cup
Ghee – 1/2 – 3/4 Cup (I used 1/2 Cup)
Whole Cardamom – 4-5 Numbers
Pista/Almonds – To garnish
Salt – A Pinch
Salt – A Pinch
- Wash n soak dhal with necessary water for 2 hours Pic 1 (Refer Note 1).
- Boil the soaked dhal with enough water for 2 hisses, don’t make it mushy Pic 2.
- Remove extra water if any and spread it in tray to cool completely Pic 2.
- Mash the boiled dhal with spatula/spoon to coarse like shown in Pic 3.
- Dry fry the cardamom and powder it with 1/4 cup sugar (Refer Note 2).
- Heat ghee (Reserve 1 Tbsp for later use) in heavy bottom pan (Can use non stick pan too).
- Add mashed dhal and fry on low-medium heat approx for 15 mins (Pic 4).
- Meanwhile boil the milk in another pan to ease the process for 5-8mins in medium flame.
- By this time raw smell from chana dhal goes off n nice aroma attains.
- Now add 1/2 Cup milk n stir on high temperature till it get dry Pic 5.
- Again add 1/2 cup milk n keep stirring, once dried repeat last batch of milk (1/2 Cup) Pic 6.
- Finally mix in cardamom powder+sugar, remaining sugar n keep mixing in medium – high flame for another 5 mins Pic 7.
- At this time add the reserved ghee and keep stirring till it leaves the sides of pan and rolls together Pic 8.
- Serve hot as halwa right now or spread it over ghee greased plate Pic 9.
- Level the top with back of ghee greased spoon Pic 9.
- If like to sprinkle chopped nuts add it right now.
- When its luke warm temperature cut to desired shapes Pic 10.
- Alow to cool completely n for immediate cool you can freeze it for 5-8mins.
- Now you can easily pull the shaped pieces/Burfis.
- I just sprinkled powdered pistachios over few burfis.
- For longer use you can refrigerate in fridge.
- The soaking time varies by the variety of dhal you use so after 2hrs check when its completely soggy then start cooking.
- I grinded the whole cardamom coarsely with sugar if not you can use the seeds alone.
- For Halwa you can increase 2-3 Tbsp of ghee too…