Hushpuppy is a savory deep fried/baked dumplings/snack of cornmeal (maize) and traditionally served with fried catfish. They are especially popular throughout the Southern United States. I tasted lot of non veg hush puppies but liked to recreate it using vegetables at home. So after reading few recipes I finally adapted the recipe from here to make Cauliflower Hushpuppies .
Yellow Cornmeal – 3/4 th Cup
All Purpose flour/Maida – 1/3 Cup
Mashed Cauliflower – 1/2 Cup
Egg – 1 Number (Optional)
Milk – 1/2 Cup (Replace with butter milk + 1/4 tsp baking soda)
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Capsicum – 1/2 Finely chopped
Red Onion – 1 Number
Chopped Coriander/Curry Leaves – Few (Optional)
Salt – As needed
Oil for deep frying
- Clean and separate the cauliflower florets from stems.
- Add salt to water and bring to boil.
- When water starts boiling add the florets n put off the stove (Pic 1).
- Leave it as it is for 2-3 mins.
- Drain the florets completely and mash it using blender to coarse texture.
- Now add remaining ingredients except oil and milk (Pic 2).
- Sprinkle milk and rest the batter for 5-10 mins.
- The batter consistency should be loose n bit runny texture (Pic 3).
- If able to hold ball shapes then make it (Pic 4) and fry in in hot oil otherwise add spoonful of batter in hot oil and fry till golden brown (Pic 4).
- The batter should neither too tight nor too runny.
- Drain the excess oil and serve hot with fried fish/ketch up.