Learn to make eggless pav buns from scratch, the only thing you have to keep in mind is knead the dough slightly sticky and well moisture, you will get a super soft buns and as usual use the best yeast to get it rise and for more tips do check the notes at the end.
APF/Maida or Bread Flour – 3n1/4 Cup Plus 1/4 Cup Wheat Flour (You can replace wheat flour with maida) Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast – 1n3/4tsp (if using other brand of yeast go for 2tsp and Instant Yeast take 1.25tsp yeast approx)
Salt – 3/4tsp
Sugar – 2 Tbsp
Butter – 3 Tbsp
Water + Milk – 1n1/2 Cups
Melted butter for brushing on top – 2 Tbsp
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt.
- In a sauce pan or mug warm water+milk and add yeast (Pic 1) to it.
- Leave it aside for 5 minutes.
- Later pour milk mixture to prepared flour mixture in batches (Pic 2).
- Knead it to soft dough or in stand mixture, in 2 setting allow the mixture to knead for 8 ~ 10 minutes.
- I divided the dough in to 3 portions and kneaded with my hands to slight sticky dough.
- If needed you can sprinkle a tsp of water or milk at a time.
- Finally add the soft butter (Pic 3) and keep kneading for few more minutes.
- The dough stick a bit initially (Pic 4) and later it turns non sticky and very soft (Pic 5).
- Cover with cling wrap and allow it to rise in warm place.
- After 45 minutes or the dough volume has doubled (Step by step Pic 6) short knead and divide into equal portions.
- I spilt the dough in to 9-10 large lemon size balls with equal weight each and arranged in a rectangle cookie pan and added one in the aluminum tin (step by step Pic 7 below).
- Cover the top with cling film and allow to rest for 30 minutes for second proof (Pic 8).
- At the end of dough rest time, pre heat oven to 350° F.
- Brush the top with melted butter (Pic 9) or egg wash (if desired).
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake it for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Do not open the oven in between or after it baking time because it will shrink the pav buns.
- And when it is out from oven immediately brush the top with melted butter.
- Serve it with Paav bajji masala/butter/sliced onions by squeezing some lemon juice on top.
Some Trouble shooting Tips
- If the yeast dissolved in warm water is hot then it kills the yeast and the dough doesn’t rise at all.
- If the dough has too much sugar then it prevents proper rising.
- Usually make the dough with good enough moisture at the same time not too sticky by this way inner bun turns too soft.
- Allow proper time to ferment also cover the top loose.