I rarely make kootu but when my MIL stays with us she
makes it often. I learned this recipe from
her which tastes too good and you can definitely get the restaurant taste. Usually
I prepare with Moong dhal and occasionally with chana dhal but today I preferred
Chana dhal, both are equally gud in taste.
Try this easy and healthy coconut milk/paal kootu, I am sure you will like it.
Bengal Gram/Chana Dhal/Split Moong Dhal – 3/4th Cup
Snake Gourd/Podalangaai or Cabbage – 3/4 th Cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 1tsp
Salt n Water – As Needed
Shredded Coconut – 1/2 Cup
Cumin Seeds – 1 Tbsp
Roasted Gram/Dalia/Pottukadalai – 1 Tbsp
Cooked Chana Dhal – 2 Tbsp
Green Chili – 2-3 No.
Curry Leaves – Few
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
Chopped Shallot/Onion – 1/2 Cup (Optional)
Hing/Asofetida – A generous pinch
- Soak Chana dhal for 30mins to evenly cook with the chopped veggie(Pic 1).
- Cook the dhal with chopped snake gourd n all powders for 2 whistles Pic 2 (see note 1).
- Grind the raw ingredients given under to grind (Pic 3).
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil temper with mustard seeds followed by onion, curry leaves n hing.
- Add the ground paste, boiled dhal mixture, check salt and bring to boil (Pic 4).
- When the gravy gets thick put off the stove.
- Serve with Hot Rice, Ghee, Poriyal/Curry n Papad. Goes well with yogurt too.
- If you like to have the dhal mushy allow one more whistle or grind few cooked dhal along with coconut mixture.