green tomato also works for this biriyani recipe and do proceed with instructions below to make.
Serves - 4-5
Basmati Rice - 2.25 Cups
Tomato - 2 Green medium size
Well Ripen Regular Tomatoes - 2 small size (replace with green tomato)
Shallot - 10 Numbers
Garam Masala Powder - 3/4 Tbsp
Red Chili powder - 3/4 Tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
Whole Garam Masala - Cloves, Cardamom - 4 each
Small Piece of Coconut (little finger size)
Cinnamon - 1 (2-3" long piece)
Bay leaves - 2 Numbers
Mint leaves - 1/4 Cup
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup
Mixed Veggies - Carrot/Potato and Peas - 1 Cup (Optional)
- Here I have used shallot/pearl/small onion but if you couldn’t find then go for 1 jumbo size regular onion.
- Make the ingredients ready (Pic 1).
- Grind ginger garlic with 2 shallots or small portion of regular onion, few coriander n mint leaves and a piece of coconut (Pic 2).
- In a kadai add butter/ghee add the whole garam masalas like bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and star anise (Pic 3)
- Add the chopped shallot/onion saute till it turns light brown (Pic 4).
- Now add ground Ginger Garlic Mixed Paste (Pic 4), red chili powder, turmeric powder and saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the well ripened and chopped red/regular tomatoes and saute till it mashes well (Pic 5).
- Once done, add the lengthy sliced carrot, roundly sliced tomato, garam masala powder (Pic 5).
- Saute till the raw smell goes away from the masala powders and no need to wait till the greem tomato mashes.
- Finally add the coconut milk, chopped coriander and mint leaves, adjust salt and chili powder (Pic 6), mix with rice.
- Add necessary water ( i added 3.25cups water) and cook in pressure cooker for 3 hisses or in electric cooker using white rice mode.
- Serve with onion raita or chutney (recipe coming soon).