I couldn’t post couple of baking partners challenges on right time. Thanksgiving is approaching and when Swathi and Suja came up with skillet bread recipes for this month challenge, I have decided immediately to make the savory version and on time I am posting it :-). This is such a great savory cornbread with chili/capsicum, carrot and cheese mixture. Also I have increased the quantity to fulfill my large cast iron pan, if you have 8 inch pan then follow the ingredients given under “For 8 inch pan”.
“For 13-1/4 inch cast iron pan”
Yellow Corn Meal/Makki ka Atta – 2 Cups
APF – 1.25 or 1n1/4 Cup
Brown Sugar – 2 tsp
Baking Powder – 2.5 tsp
Salt – 1.25 or 1n1/4tsp
Eggs – 3 Numbers
Vegetable Oil – 1/3 Cup
Carrot shredded – 1 Cup
Garlic Powder – 1tsp (Optional)
Paprika or Red Chili Flakes – 1-2tsp (Optional)
Pepper Powder – 1/2tsp
Frozen Peas or Corn – 1/2 Cup
Buttermilk – 1.25 Cup or 1n1/4Cup
Capsicum – 1 Medium Size or Jalapeno/Green chili – As Needed
Milk – 3/4 Cup
Shredded Sharp or Mild Cheddar Cheese – 1.5 Cups
Recipe Adapted from HERE
“For 8 inch pan”
Yellow Cornmeal/Makki ka Atta – 1.5 Cup
All purpose flour- 1 Cup
Baking powder- 2 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Brown sugar- 1.5 tsp
Egg – 2 Numbers
Vegetable Ooil – 1/4 Cup
Carrot shredded – 1/3 Cup (optional)
Garlic Powder – 3/4tsp (Optional)
Paprika or Red Chili Flakes – 1-1.5tsp (Optional)
Pepper Powder – 1/2tsp
Green chili or Jalapenos – 3 ounce/ use 1-2 (or according to spice tolerance) or capsicum as needed
Frozen Peas or Corn – 1/2 Cup ( or cream style corn 1/2 can)
Butter milk- 1 Cup
Milk- 1/2 Cup
Shredded sharp or mild Cheddar cheese- 1 Cup
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and set aside (Pic 1).
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F, make the other ingredients ready (Pic 2).
- Lightly beat eggs until blended.
- Add oil and butter milk and mix well to that add garlic and pepper powder(optional) as shown in picture 3.
- Add half of corn meal mixture and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the veggies like peas/corn, capsicum/chilli and carrots mix well (Pic 4).
- Add the remaining corn meal mixture and finally add shredded cheese(Pic 5) give a nice stir.
- Meanwhile put the skillet on stove top and it gets hot add butter and pour in the batter(pic 6), this will ensure crispy edges.
- Bake (Pic 7) in oven for 25-30 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean(pic 8). It will be lightly brown and crispy in the edges.
- You can bake it in any cake pan.