Today I am here with this month Swathi’s baking group partner challenge. Though I am not feeling well, I already planned to bake one veg n non veg pie recipes, noted the recipes clearly so I am able to bake 2 pies at a time 2day. Thanks Swathi l 3sidesofcrazy, Gayathri of Gayathri’s cookspot, Samanta of Samanthamenzies for suggesting this wonderful recipe. The orange juice added in the crust gives good color n flavor to the pie. When it’s too good my daughter certified it as ‘YUMMY’ and I got her appreciation today. I don’t have much bright light in indoor so I am not satisfied with the clicks ;:-( but this is the wonderful crisp n delicious recipe I would say. Now move on to the recipe.
APF/Maida – 2 and 3/4 Cups
Vegetable Shortening – 8 Tbsp (Or Replace with butter see NOTE 1)
Butter – 2 Tbsp
Orange Juice – 4 Tbsp (or Replace with Cold Water)
Cold Water – 5 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2tsp
- If using homemade orange juice prepare and chill it, make sure to chill the water in freezer or use ice cubes.
- Mix salt with flour , cut the very cold butter and shortening, mix with flour(Pic 1).
- Use fork and rub it crumbly.
- Now add tbsp of juice at a time and keep on mixing with fork.
- Once done with juice, start adding 1 tbsp of cold water at a time (Pic 2).
- When you try to make balls from the crumbled mixture it should happen with cracks otherwise continue adding cold water (Pic 3).
- I have used 5 Tbsp of water and other ingredients are also exact measurements.
- Now divide the gathered dough in to 2 with one bit larger than another (Pic 4).
- Flat the balls separately in plastic wrap, if breaks adjust it and seal the wrap (In below Pic 1).
- Refrigerate both the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling for pie.
Granny Smith Apples – 5 Numbers (I used halve red delicious and half Granny smith)
Cinnamon and Cloves Powder – 1 Tbsp
Brown Sugar – 1/4 – 1/2 Cup
APF/Maida – 2 Tbsp
Lemon Juice – 1 /2 Tbsp
Butter – 1 Tbsp (Optional)
- Peel the apples, slice medium thickness and mix with lemon juice to prevent oxidizing.
- In a pan melt butter, add cinnamon and cloves powder, brown sugar and flour.
- When cooled down add the sliced apples.
- Mix everything well and keep it in room temp till the dough sets.
How to Roll the Pie Crust and Fill with Apple mixture
- After 1 hour, in between two parchment/wax papers roll the prepared pie dough.
- The edges may leave cracks, fix it with your hands and continue rolling (Pic 2).
- Just invert the pan (I used cake pan) over the dough and make sure you have rolled evenly all over.
- You may notice butter/shortening (fat) in white tiny spots all over the, if you see than the crust is perfect.
- Use the rolling pin, wrap the rolled dough and drop gently over pan (Pic 3).
- Adjust the inner corners (Pic 4) and prick with fork.
- Again chill the dough along with pan for couple of minutes before adding the filling.
- Meanwhile start rolling another left over dough to cover the top.
- Roll it and chill it for few mins.
- Now take the pan out from refrigerator and add the filling.
- You can see lot of water/juice from the apple mixture/filling.
- So filter and add only the apples and even the top layer with your hand/Spatula (Pic 2).
- Heat the juice left from pie filling mixture for 2 mins or till it becomes thick like jam consistency.
- Now pour this over the apple filling (should not be hot while adding).
- Take another rolled pie from refrigerator and cover it (Pic 3).
- Make designs as you like over the corner and center, make some big slits for the air bubbles to release (Pic 4).
- Now freeze the dough for at least 5mins before baking.
- The dough should be hard before going in to the oven otherwise the sides melt soon.
- Bake at 400° F for first 10 mins, after that the sides turn light dark brown, to prevent over darkening cover the sides with aluminum foil.
- If you have any left over dough make shapes freeze for while and decorate it at this point.
- Now again start baking at 350° F for another 40 mins or till you see bubbles at the center.
- Cool it for 1-2 hrs before you serve.
THE MINI PIES I SHOWED HERE AT THE BACK IS CHICKEN MINI PIES USING LIGHT PIE CRUST CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE.
- I don’t have Crisco shortening sticks so I measured the shortening in TBSP and kept in freezer for 15mins before adding in to the flour/salt mixture.