This is a wonderful delicious low fat/light mini chicken pie version. Tastewise I have not found any big difference between full fat/butter pie crust n this version. Actually we the whole family caught up with cold n flu, so thought of making some spiced pie for me n hubby. I made Shortening+butter based Apple pie for kids which I already posted it. After few recipe hunting finally adapted the Oil crust recipe from here. After I baked this cutie pies, my cutie pie 🙂 asked whats this. In her term I explained this as Chicken cupcakes 🙂
Unbleached APF – 2 Cups
Salt – 1/2tsp
The original recipe calls for 8 Tbsp of oil where I split it as (3Tbsp Oil + 3T Butter + 2T Yogurt)
- Mix salt with flour, cut the very cold butter in to it.
- Now add tbsp of oil at a time and keep on mixing with fork.Once done with oil add yogurt n rub gently with fork.
- At last add a tbsp of cold water n make as crumbled mixture.
- When u try to make balls from the crumbled mixture it should happen with cracks otherwise continue adding cold water.
- Now divide the gathered dough in to 2 with one 3/4th in size n remaining 1/4 in another.
- Flat the balls separately in plastic wrap, if breaks adjust it and seal the wrap.
- Refrigerate both the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling for pie.
- For detailed step wise pictures of making n rolling a pie crust please click the link here.
For the filling
Tomato ketchup – 2 Tbsp
Hot Red Chilli Sauce – 2 Tbsp (Replace with red chilli powder/flakes too)
APF/Maida/Corn Starch – 2 Tbsp
Mustard Sauce – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Garam Masala Powder/Chicken Masala powder- 1/2 Tbsp (Optional)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2tsp or as needed
- Heat oil and add the chicken with salt saute for few mins like 2-3 mins
Then add tomato ketchup, hot chili sauce n mustard sauce, if needed sprinkle little water n cook till chicken becomes soft.
Finally add flour and make switch off the flame (don’t over cook).
How to Roll the Pie Crust and Fill the Chicken mixture
- After 1 hour, in between two parchment/wax papers roll the 3/4th sized(large portion) dough.
- The edges may leave cracks, fix it with ur hands n continue rolling.
- Use any round caps/cookie cutter with size more than each round of your muffin pan (Pic 1).
- Just invert the pan over the dough n make sure before you cut.
- You may notice butter in white tiny spots all over the dough, if you see than the crust is perfect.
- Insert the dough in to the muffin, adjust the inner corners n prick with fork the bottom dough (Pic 2).
- Once you done with one, refrigerate till you make the next one.
- Do it for the remaining by gathering the left over dough again and again.
- When you feel the dough is flexible or butter starts melting refrigerate or freeze it for a fraction of mins.
- Now take the remaining separately stored 1/4th dough roll and make strips using knife or pizza cutter(Pic 2).
- Arrange it as shown in picture 3 (Lattice) or cover the top fully and make slits for the bubbles to release.
- Decorate to your creativity and apply milk or egg wash over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 20-25mins or till the crust gets golden brown color (Pic 4).
- Serve hot.
- Be sure the bottom and top layers are of even thickness otherwise one cooks soon n turns dark brown when compared to other.
- Even you can add Onion/Capsicum to the chicken filling.
- Can use this same pie crust for making any reduced fat pies, increase the flour quantity to 2 and 1/2 cups for 9″ pie.
- The leftover dough can be stored in freezer for month if the quantity is less then mix it with dinner rolls/chapathi/paratha etc