Today is national ice cream day (July 21st) and thought of posting my recent ice cream made at home. This ice cream is unique from my other preparations, were I added egg custard with loads of fresh cherries pitted and chopped. Also added chocolate bites to enhance the flavor. Trust me on the whole it tasted similar to branded ones n my H who hates cream also enjoyed a scoop :-), let’s move on to the recipe…
Heavy/Fresh Cream – 2 Cups
Egg Yolks – 3 Number
Fresh Cherries – 1 Cup (Pitted and chopped)
Whole Milk – 1 n 1/4 Cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Condensed Milk – 3/4th Cup
Sugar – 1/4 Cup or as needed
Chocolate Chips/Dark Chocolate – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
- Wash, pit and chop the cherries as well Pic 1.
- Use potato masher and mash as shown in Pic 2
- Boil the milk by this time it reduced to 1 cup Pic 1.
- Whisk egg yolks and 2 Tbsp of sugar in a separate bowl Pic 1.
- Add hot milk gradually to it and strain the mixture.
- Now bring to boil in medium flame until it custards Pic 2.
- The correct custard process is the mixture turns shiny, smoothie and coats well in back of spoon.
- By this time remove from heat and add vanilla essence.
- Allow to cool, by this time the custard starts setting.
- Now whip the cream n condensed ilk to soft peaks by adding remaining sugar and more.
- Once attained soft peaks add chilled egg custard Pic 3.
- Whip for fraction of seconds (not for longer time), now add chopped cherries n fold well Pic 4.
How to make chocolate bites
- I used chocolate chips and frozen it for 30 minutes before grinding.
- Use food processor/mixie n grind to coarse powder Pic 5.
- Finally add this to cream/custard mixture Pic 5 and freeze it at least 3-4 hrs to set well.
- In first 1 hour i mixed it twice by taking it out from freezer.
- This way makes to blend the cherries and other flavors well.
- Scoop the cream n enjoy it chilled 🙂
- You can add 2 tsp of corn flour/starch or All purpose flour/Maida in the egg custard as thickening agent.
- If using flour then mix it with 2 Tbsp of cold milk and add it to the boiling custard mixture.
- For basic vanilla ice cream skip cherries and add one more tsp of vanilla essence.