My kids have two days of swim class on week days every week , they swim from 30 minutes to 1 hour on those days sometimes they use swim cap to protect from chlorine and sometimes they say no to it. Also after the class they head bath and to protect their hair from chemicals, browning, hair fall, roughness, and dandruff, I apply the homemade herbal hair oil once in a week. It stays good for the entire week. They go to school as it is
and in summer I apply whenever their hair gets dried up may be 5 days once. Also it’s so helpful for me. I had too much hair fall in the last 1 year after applying it for a few months, I have good density hair and yup I feel like I got the before postpartum hair right now :-). Being a village born
I grew up keeping this oil often. Remembering my childhood days, were my mom and grandma gave so much importance to me. I had such a lengthy hair (so does my daughter) that ribbon pinnal (two braided hair), Shigagai Powder or Neotea Arappu we had for washing the hair and my mom follows no shampoo policy yup still she uses herbal hair wash powders. Sunday meant to be Nalla Ennai (Sesame oil) soaked head for few hours and Kuliyal at thoppu (in the farm) and after that a special lunch followed by a good nap.
Once I turned independent shampoo replaced Arappu and for work I used to trim the hair often. Heredity grey hair bugged me too. So from then I started applying this herbal oil in different forms and I forgot applying oil in the middle for few years. Now I feel its importance and retaining the good old things one by one.
Herbal Hair Oil Benefits
My grandma still has very lengthy and dense hair she applies hair oil immediately the next day of hair cleaning if she miss that day then she gets headache because of dry hair. Also good sleep is 100 percent guaranteed the day you applied the oil. It’s not a sponsored post or to promote anything, also sharing the information from my experience. Other than this I add curry leaves, Moringa leaves powder in day to day cooking which promotes hair growth. When you apply this hair oil add a cover over pillows to protect it.
So during my last India trip I packed all these stuffs in the powder form but my neighbor said few of these ingredients are available here in Indian stores or online. It takes jut 5 minutes to prepare when you have herbal powders in handy. I am giving those names in English and Hindi below so it helps you.
- Vettiver / Khus Khus (In Hindi) / Chrysopogon Zizanioides (scientific name) is known for its fragrant roots.
- Eclipta prostrata commonly known as false daisy, yerba de tago Karisalankanni in tamil. Its a white-flowered E. alba is called white bhangra and the yellow-flowered W. calendulacea is called yellow bhangra / bhringraj.
Curry Leaves Powder / Karuveppilai Podi – 2-3 Tbsp
Hibiscus / Sembaruthi Powder – 2 Tbsp
White Karisilangani Podi – 1 Tbsp
Yellow Karisilangani Podi – 1 Tbsp
Vettiver – A small bunch as shown in the video
Organic Coconut Oil – 1/2 Liter
You can add Kalonji Oil, Amla Powder, Cardamom Powder or Fenu Greek Seeds to this Oil
- Warm the Oil (just warm and no need to be so hot).
- In a glass jar add oil first followed by vettiver.
- Add all those herbal powders one by one.
- Mix it with a spoon from top to bottom.
- Leave it aside undisturbed for 3 – 5 days.
- The healthy oil is ready to apply over hair.
- Personally there’s loads of improvement after started applying it.
Will be adding one more short video soon to show the color of oil after it was well soaked.
Homemade Herbal Hair Oil Video Tutorial
- Curry Leaves Powder / Karuveppilai Podi – 2-3 Tbsp
- Hibiscus / Sembaruthi Powder – 2 Tbsp
- White Karisilangani Podi – 1 Tbsp
- Yellow Karisilangani Podi – 1 Tbsp
- Vettiver – A small bunch as shown in the video
- Organic Coconut Oil – 1/2 Liter
- ou can add Kalonji Oil, Amla Powder, Cardamom Powder or Fenu Greek Seeds to this Oil
Warm the Oil (just warm and no need to be so hot).
In a glass jar add oil first followed by vettiver.
Add all those herbal powders one by one.
Mix it with a spoon from top to bottom.
Leave it aside undisturbed for 3 – 5 days.
The healthy oil is ready to apply over hair.
Personally there’s loads of improvement after started applying it.
- The prepared oil stays fresh in winter for 6 months and in summer 3 months.
- Apply mildly for school going kids.