This winter is very cold and chill as what we haven’t expected. So rasam /soup has become mandatory nowadays and after pongal i don’t want to waste the leftovers like sugarcane, pan leaves and banana leaves…So I used sugarcane in the form of juice using our regular mixie /blender and served kids (refer HERE ). Kids stayed most of the days home due to inclement weather and so enjoyed lot of fresh foods on and off. It’s the reason for my blog sleeping all these days since they kept me busy like a bee. Hopefully
will come up with more posts in nearing days. Coming to today’s post I have used leftover vetrilai / Pan leaves in the form of rasam and elder one said it was so good with the infusion of pan leaves.
Tomato – 1 Small Size
Chopped Vetrilai / Pan Leaves – For Garnishing (From half of a pan leaf)
Tamarind – A small round less than gooseberry size
Mashed Toor Dhal – 1 Tbsp (dal enhances the rasam taste, you can add more or if you dont have handy skip it)
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Chopped Green Chili – 2 Numbers (very small size)
Turmeric Powder – A Pinch
Coriander Powder – 1/4tsp (Optional or replace with rasam podi if you have)
Chopped Curry Leaves – Few
Ghee or Oil – For Tempering
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Black Pepper Corns -3/4tsp
Garlic – 5 cloves
Vetrilai / Pan Leaves – 1 Number
- Clean the pan leaves and make the other stuff ready to make rasam.
- Extract the tamarind juice by soaking it in warm water for a while.
- Mash the tomato in to the tamarind juice roughly.
- Add cooked dal, coriander powder or rasam powder (if using) in to this tamarind mixture.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under to grind and keep it ready.
- In a pan/kadai add oil or ghee (my mil adds ghee for preparing rasams).
- When it is hot temper mustards seeds then add ground paste in the same oil.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric, green chili, saute till nice aroma attains.
- Finally add tamarind mixture add salt and allow the rasam just to foam.
- Garnish with reserved pan leaves.
- Serve warm, this is how i served it 🙂
Starting with my little ones favorite