Mushroom Tikka Masala –> Mushrooms are marinated with Indian masala powders and yogurt mixture. Later skewered and grilled in oven or fried in stove top(i did so) then finally added in simmering tomato sauce+ onion paste + Indian spice mixture. Here I have added generous red chili powder
and made a thick curry, you can make the masala little bit thin by adding water or thin coconut milk.
Ingredients for Masala
Onion – 2 Medium
3 Chopped Shallots or 1/4 Cup finely Chopped Onion
Tomato – 3 Medium
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 Tbsp (you can reduce a bit)
Garam Masala Powder – 2tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
* Cashew Paste – 2 Tbsp (Soak 10 whole cashews in warm water for 15 minutes at least then grind it to make a paste)
* Instead of cashew you can use heavy cream or half and half to make the gravy thick.
Ingredients for Marination
Thick Yogurt/Greek Yogurt – 3 Tbsp
Mushroom – 250 grams
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1tsp
Salt – 1tsp
How to Marinate Mushrooms
- Wash the mushrooms in running water.
- Wipe the excess water/moisture.
- Cut each button mushrooms in to four pieces.
- Marinate them with red chili powder, salt and yogurt (Pic 1 & 2).
- Meanwhile prepare the ingredients for the curry.
- You can grill it in the oven and keep aside, but i am going to fry them in a pan, do follow the recipe.
- In a well boiling water add the tomatoes, switch off after 5 minutes peel the skin and make fine puree in mixie/food processor.
- In a tbsp of oil saute roughly chopped 2 onions and when it’s cool down, grind it to fine paste.
- In the same wok/kadai add 2 tbsp oil, saute the marinated mushrooms(you can add few chopped onion or capsicum along with it) till it shrinks in size (Pic 3) and reaches golden color, keep aside.
- In the same pan pour 2 tbsp oil add 2 Cloves, 2 bay leaves and 1 lengthy Cinnamon.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped onions, when fried well add ginger garlic (GG) paste.
- Add tomato puree (Pic 4) and thickens a bit (Pic 5) add onion paste and all masala powders (Pic 5).
- Close the lid and let the gravy simmers in low flame till oil floats on top (Pic 6).
- Now add fried/grilled mushrooms (Pic 6), cashew paste and if needed add water and let this mixture cooks in medium flame (Pic 7) for few more minutes say 5-8 minutes.
- If you want a very thick masala don’t add water and allow them to simmer in kadai for more minutes.
- I have served here with the most frequently make diet and oil free chapati.