An Indian flavored cake was in my to do list for a long time, as we mix cardamom, coconut milk n nuts in most of our desserts, why not to implement the same in a cake? this raised in my mind. Recently my daughter asked for a cake, as I am tired with other works I don’t want to stress much by making the cake in huge quantity. So I tried it with very usual ingredients from the kitchen pantry. I steamed the cake using idli pan n happens to be vegan at the same time, which doesn’t take more than 12mins for it to cook. The outcome was really perfect, delicious n spongy right? this cake is a big hit at home :-). When you like to crave some dessert you can immd try this instant recipe n enjoy it in less than 25mins of time, including the batter preparation…Dear viewers Merry Christmas to you all…Stay tuned will come up with more interesting recipes in future 🙂
- Soak 5 almonds in hot boiling water for 15mins n peel the skin.
- Meanwhile start preparing the batter.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil n fry the finely chopped Almonds, Pista, Cashew/ Raisins n finally before removing from heat add Tutti Fruitti (See Note 2).
- Powder the Semolina slightly (coarse texture not to very fine powder).
- Add Flour, Semolina, Baking Powder, soda, salt n mix well.
- Add coconut milk, sugar n cardomom powder (See Note 3) when sugar dissolves well add the dry ingredients (flour mix) in batches.
- Sooji drink some moisture so add 1-2 Tbsp more Coconut Milk and finally add the fried nuts.
- Heat the Idli Pan/Fry Pan with water, grease the steel cups with oil n pour the batter evenly.
- Garnish with some powdered nuts (I used Pistachios powder).
- Now place the cups over an Idli plate n cook in high flame for 12mins or toothpick inserted at more than one place in the steel cup comes out clean.
- Just leave it in room temperature for 5 mins and remove it.
- Very moistured nuts cake is ready in short time.
- I have extracted coconut milk from shredded coconut so it contains some water n not to thick as store bought one, if using store bought can milk then replace 2-3 Tbsp of milk with plain hot water.
- Instead of oil you can fry the nuts with ghee, as this is a vegan recipe I went with oil.
- If you don’t have Cardamom powder, just dry fry 4-5 cardamoms in low flame for 5 mins and powder it along with sooji.
- Even you can cover the top of the cake with foil to prevent steamed water not to fall over the cake.