Methi Pulao / Pulav is a perfect healthy one pot meal to fill your tummy. When compared to biryanis this pulav is a reduced masala version and I have given carrot peanut raita along with it which is a best side dish for any rice varieties like Biryani/Pulao/Fried Rice etc. Few years back I tasted this raita in Residency Chennai, recreated and making it often after that.
Basmati/Brown Rice – 2 cups
Ginger and Garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
Methi leaves – 1/2 Bunch (2 Cups of leaves alone)
Jeera/Cumin seeds -1/2 Tbsp
Fennel seeds -1tsp
Coriander Powder – 3/4 Tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – 3/4 Tbsp
Slited Whole Green Chilis – 1-2 Numbers
Sliced Red Capsicum – 1/4 Cup
Whole garam masala – 1 each (Cloves/Cinnamon/Brinji leaf)
First + Second extracted Coconut Milk -1 Cup
Oil/Ghee/Butter – 2 tbsp
Any Left Over Veggies – 1 Cup (Optional, I used carrot n cauliflower)
Salt as required
- Soak rice for 40 minutes or as directed.
- If you have any leftover veggies make it ready.
- Also wash and separate the methi leaves and stems (discard stems).
- In a wide pan/kadai, heat oil/butter/ghee.
- Splutter whole garam masala, then add ginger/garlic paste.
- Saute well then add green chilis n chopped veggies.
- Now add garam masala and coriander powder, saute for 2-3mins in medoum flame.
- Then add Rice, salt n methi leaves (You can chop the leaves but i didn’t do so).
- Finally add coconut milk, 2 and 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook as you do for other rice varieties.
- Serve with raita or gravy.
Carrot Peanut Raita
Shredded Carrot -1 Cup
Dried/Raw Peanuts – 1 Cup
Thick Yogurt – 1 Cup
Cumin Powder – 1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder/Chopped Green Chili’s – For taste (I used red chili powder)
Salt and Water – As required
- If using dry peanuts then soak at least 1-2 hours otherwise directly cook.
- Pressure cook the peanuts for 2 hisses with necessary water and salt.
- Chop half of the peanuts.
- Now add all the ingredients with necessary salt and water.
- Garnish with cumin powder and Serve Chilled.