Though I am on vacation I am consistently getting support from readers, followers, facebook fans and bloggers friends, a very special and hearty thanks to u all :-). This is a celebration recipe for 300 likes in facebook fanpage and Holi, a Hindu festival which is celebrated mostly in India and all over the world. I have explained how to make condensed milk with milk powder at home and orange peda mithai is a basic milk peda with fresh orange flavor. Also added corn starch to attain the bakery consistency.
Ingredients for making Homemade Condensed Milk
Milk Powder – 1/2 Cup (I use Non Fat Dry Milk Powder)
Sugar – 1/4 + 1 or 2 Tbsp
Milk – 3/4th Cup
Butter – 1 Tbsp
If using store bought condensed milk skip the above ingredients n procedure below.
Condensed Milk Preparation
- Bring 3/4th cup of milk to boil in medium flame.
- When it reduced to 1/2 cup add sugar, butter and milk powder give nice stir Pic 1.
- If you have lumps, blend it to get smooth condensed milk Pic 2.
- This is the easy process for making basic condensed milk.
- If you have store bought condensed milk then skip the above process.
Ingredients for Orange Peda Mithai
Milk Powder -1/2 Cup (I used Non Fat Dry Milk Powder)
Fresh Orange Juice – 1/2 Cup
Corn Starch – 1 – 2 n 1/2 Tbsp (Including decoration)
Homemade or Store bought Condensed Milk – 1/2 Cup
Green Food Color – Optional (Needed if decorating the peda n i used gel type food color)
Salt – A Pinch
Orange Peda Mithai Preparation
- Add orange juice in a pan and bring to boil.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk powder and stir well Pic 3.
- Now add condensed milk Pic 4.
- Mix 3/4th -1 Tbsp of cornstarch with little milk or juice and add to the above mixture.
- Keep stirring till it attains a rolling consistency Pic 5
- When its cooled down make desired shapes Pic 6.
- For making orange shape roll the peda using palms and make an impression at the center.
- Roll the green mixture(recipe follows) to tiny balls and place it at the center.
- Mix 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of cornstarch with water and cook in medium flame with sugar to rolling consistency.
- Add food color and mix it well.
- When cooled down make desired shapes.
- I made leaf shape using hand and toothpick to get the leaf texture, also you can use fondant leaf tools.
- Also made rolled stem with the leftovers.
- Sugar quantity i mentioned here is moderate, you can increase or decrease it.
- If the consistency is still gooey then add more milk powder.