so we get extra parcels like sambar or poriyal when we order this curry there :-). My version of this kuzhambu is much closer to it and this goes well with Aapam, Puttu, Rice and all tiffin varieties.
Ingredients for Kadala Curry
Boiled Kala Chana/Sundal – 1 Cup
Any Chopped Vegetables – Potato, Brinjal, Bottle Gourd or Drumstick (Optional, I used Bottle Gourd))
Onion – 1 Medium size
Tomato – 1 Medium Size
Coconut Milk – 1/4 Cup
Garam Masala Powder – 1 n 1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp or more
Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
Puli Kuzhambu Powder – 1 Tbsp (Optional)
Urad (Or) Pottu Kadalai/Roasted Gram Flour – 1tsp (Optional to make the gravy thick)
Tamarind Juice – 1/4 Cup or as needed
Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Hing/Asafoetida – A Pinch
Kadala Curry Preparation
- Soak the chana 8 hours before making curry or use soaked and frozen one.
- Boil the soaked chana for 3-4 hisses with necessary water and salt.
- Heat Oil in a kadai add chopped onion followed by chopped tomato, curry leaves and salt.
- When tomato mashes well add turmeric, garam and red chili powder, assorted chopped vegetables(If using) and tamarind juice.
- You can add cooked chana water also and allow the vegetables to cook in the pan itself in medium flame.
- Once vegetables cooked add coriander powder, puli kuzhambu powder, urad/pottu kadalai flour mixed in water and add to it.
- Add Coconut milk adjust salt, tamarind juice and chili powder right now and allow to boil well.
- Once reached well boiling point simmer it for few minutes till oil floats.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves after removing from flame.
- You can reduce or skip tamarind totally and adjust with tomato.
- You can mix any left over veggies to make this curry.
very nice recipe… i should give it a try……….
yes Sayali, the same dry dark brown chana and not the white chole, but you can try with both….
Just drooling 🙂
In india we get so many options like, we get curry, sambar, chutney, poriyal, even payasam..when we are sick or some other issues we can get parcel and finish our meals right? missing it!
BTW kadala curry sounds super delicious…perfect with Appams 🙂
very neat and inviting pics sangee..keep it up!
Curry looks super yummy sangeetha ..Happy new year to u n ur family .
Wishing you a very very Happy New year
do join my event below..looking for our delicious recipes….
Event Name : “Dish-it-out” – “Light Dinners”
Wow..lovely recipe..I never tried in ur style..
Very healthy h vth rotis tasted best..happy new Year dear 🙂
Kadala curry looks very delicious. Happy new year.
Delicious.Happy new year.
hey thanks for stopping by. Well kaala chana , is this a dry , dark brown chana (not the chole)? I have some, which one of our friends father gave us and wondering what I can do with it…
Kadala curry looks delicious Sangeetha, Happy new year to you and your family.
Wishing You and Your Family a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2014.
Delicious… kadala curry
Hubby's fav, we love this with Rice. Looks tempting
like it with rice da 🙂 tempting one..
black channa kuzhambu looks mouthwatering and a very tempting one 🙂
my fav.. love it
Would love it totally drenched over my rice.
My most fav recipe