so we get extra parcels like sambar or poriyal when we order this curry there :-). My version of this kuzhambu is much closer to it and this goes well with Aapam, Puttu, Rice and all tiffin varieties.
Ingredients for Kadala Curry
Boiled Kala Chana/Sundal – 1 Cup
Any Chopped Vegetables – Potato, Brinjal, Bottle Gourd or Drumstick (Optional, I used Bottle Gourd))
Onion – 1 Medium size
Tomato – 1 Medium Size
Coconut Milk – 1/4 Cup
Garam Masala Powder – 1 n 1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1tsp or more
Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
Puli Kuzhambu Powder – 1 Tbsp (Optional)
Urad (Or) Pottu Kadalai/Roasted Gram Flour – 1tsp (Optional to make the gravy thick)
Tamarind Juice – 1/4 Cup or as needed
Curry Leaves – 1 Sprig
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Hing/Asafoetida – A Pinch
Kadala Curry Preparation
- Soak the chana 8 hours before making curry or use soaked and frozen one.
- Boil the soaked chana for 3-4 hisses with necessary water and salt.
- Heat Oil in a kadai add chopped onion followed by chopped tomato, curry leaves and salt.
- When tomato mashes well add turmeric, garam and red chili powder, assorted chopped vegetables(If using) and tamarind juice.
- You can add cooked chana water also and allow the vegetables to cook in the pan itself in medium flame.
- Once vegetables cooked add coriander powder, puli kuzhambu powder, urad/pottu kadalai flour mixed in water and add to it.
- Add Coconut milk adjust salt, tamarind juice and chili powder right now and allow to boil well.
- Once reached well boiling point simmer it for few minutes till oil floats.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves after removing from flame.
- You can reduce or skip tamarind totally and adjust with tomato.
- You can mix any left over veggies to make this curry.