move on to the Potato Kurma Urulaikilangu Sambar recipe…
Ingredients for Potato Kurma Urulaikilangu Sambar
Potato – 2 Numbers (Large Size)
Green Chili – 1 Number
Tomato – 1 Medium
Onion – 1 Small
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Oil, Salt n Water – As Needed
To Saute n Grind
Shallots or Onion – 10 Numbers or 1 Large
Whole Red Chili – 2 Numbers
Garlic – 6-7 Numbers
Cloves – 3 Numbers
Cinnamon – 1 – 2 ” Size
Fennel Seeds (Sombu) – 1tsp
Kaskas/Poppy Seeds – 1/2tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 Tbsp
Shredded Coconut – 1/4 Cup
Pottukadalai/Dalia – 1 Tbsp
Potato Kurma Urulaikilangu Sambar Preparation
- Cook the potatoes by cutting in to halve and allow 2 hisses in pressure cooker with necessary water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wide pan, add shallots, red chills, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, poppy and fennel seeds one by one.
- In medium flame saute till onion changes golden brown.
- Finally add coriander powder, pottukadalai and coconut, remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and grind with enough water to fine paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil, temper mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onion and when onion becomes translucent add chopped tomato, cut green chili and curry leaves.
- Add salt and saute till tomato mashes well.
- Now add the ground paste, enough water, cooked and slightly mashed potatoes and salt.
- Mix all together and boil well (5-8 mins approx.) or till gravy thickens.
- Also you can adjust spice by adding red chili powder.
- Finally its optional to garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can add the whole tomato while sautéing the onion and other stuffs to grind, my grandma does so.