I am wishing you all dear readers Happy Navrathri. Navratri/Navarathri is an important major festival which is celebrated all over India. During Bommai Kolu (Tamil) / Navrathri either sweet or savory sundal is a most popular Neivedhyam/Naivedyam/Prasad offered to God Lakshmi, I am sharing today mochai kottai sundal recipe , a savory stir fry using dried lima beans / mochai.
Today is the first day of Navratri (9 nights) during these nine nights, nine forms of Lakshmi/Saraswathi/Durga/Shakti/Devi are worshiped and the tenth day is commonly referred to as Vijayadashami or “Dussehra” (also spelled Dasara). For more sundal recipes do check the link HERE.
Ingredients for Mochai Kottai Sundal
*Mochai/Dry Whole Beans/Kadve Vaal – 3/4 Cup
Whole Green Chili – 1 Number
Red Chili or Sambar Powder – 1/2tsp (Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Cumin Seeds – Few
Chana Dal – 1 Tbsp
Split Urad Dhal – 1 Tbsp
Shredded Coconut – 1-2 Tbsp
Salt – As Needed
Oil – As Needed
To Grind Coarse
Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Coconut – 2 Tbsp
*If using Kadve/Kadu Vaal it gives some bitter taste so add mentioned coconut to subtle it.
Mochai Kottai Preparation
- Soak dal overnight or at least 8 hours (below picture) and cook in pressure cooker for 3-4 hisses.
- Drain the excess cooked water and keep the cooked beans ready.
- In a wide pan/kadai add oil temper mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chana and urad dal.
- When dals turn light brown, add chopped green chili, sambar and turmeric powder, curry leaves.
- Now add coarsely ground coconut paste, salt and when raw smell disappears, add cooked dal/mochai.
- Finally add 1-2 Tbsp shredded coconut and serve hot.
- You can use optional hing/Few cumin seeds or powder after mustard splutters.
- The other days(non vrat) you can add some chopped onion to this stir fry.