I am wishing you all dear readers Happy Navrathri. Navratri/Navarathri is an important major festival which is celebrated all over India. Today is the first day of Navratri (9 nights) during these nine nights, nine forms of Lakshmi/Saraswathi/Durga/Shakti/Devi are worshiped and the tenth day is commonly referred to as Vijayadashami or “Dussehra” (also spelled Dasara). During Bommai Kolu (Tamil) either sweet or savory sundal is a most popular Neivedhyam/Naivedyam/Prasad offered to God Lakshmi, so today’s recipe is one such savoury sundal /stir fry using dried beans/mochai.
*Mochai/Dry Whole Beans/Kadve Vaal – 3/4 Cup
Whole Green Chili – 1 Number
Red Chili or Sambar Powder – 1/2tsp (Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Mustard Seeds – Few
Chana Dal – 1 Tbsp
Split Urad Dhal – 1 Tbsp
Shredded Coconut – 1-2 Tbsp
Salt – As Needed
Oil – As Needed
To Grind Coarse
Green Chili – 2 Numbers
Coconut – 2 Tbsp
*If using Kadve/Kadu Vaal it gives some bitter taste so add mentioned coconut to subtle it.
- Soak dal overnight or atleast 8hours(below picture) and cook in pressure cooker for 3-4 hisses.
- Drain the excess cooked water and keep the cooked beans ready.
- In a wide pan/kadai add oil temper mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add chana and urad dal.
- When dals turn light brown, add chopped green chili, sambar and turmeric powder, curry leaves.
- Now add coarsely ground coconut paste, salt and when raw smell disappears, add cooked dal/mochai.
- Finally add 1-2 Tbsp shredded coconut and serve hot.
- You can use optional hing/Few cumin seeds or powder after mustard splutters.
- The other days(non vrat) you can add some chopped onion to this stir fry.