Pasi paruppu Kuzhambu/siru paruppu moong dal sambar is a healthy sambar that goes well with dosa, rice and chapathi. Whenever i make my daughter take this dal alone like soup. The star ingredients in this recipe are sambar powder and tomato that we use along with shallots (If you are short out of shallot you can add regular onion).
Moong Dhal – 3/4 Cup
Tomato – 1 Big (Or 2 small size)
Sambar Powder – 2tsp to 1 Tbsp (I use homemade sambar powder)
Slit Green Chilis – 1-2 Numbers
Shallot – 6-7 Numbers or Regular Onion 1 Number
Curry Leaves – Few
Turmeric Powder -1/2tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Salt and Water – As Needed
- Dry roast the dal in pan for 2-3 minutes in medium flame or till nice aroma attains.
- Wash and Soak in water for 10-15 minutes at least optional by this way dal cooks quickly.
- Pressure cook the soaked dal for 2 hisses along with half of sambar powder and tomato.
- Instead of pressure cooker you can directly cook in pan as well.
- Roughly chop the tomato or add it as whole.
- Once pressure goes off mash it well and keep aside
- In the same pan heat enough oil and temper mustard seeds.
- When mustard spluttered completely add chopped onion saute for a while then add curry leaves, turmeric, green chili and remaining sambar powder.
- When onion changes light brown, add mashed dal and required water and salt.
- This dal gets thick quick so add generous water and when they boil well put off the stove.
- You can garnish with fried vadagams or chopped coriander leaves, if you wish.
- This dal goes well with Dosa, rice+ghee and this is the best dal for kids.
You can add veggies like pudalangaai/brinjal, both are good combo for this dal.