For this month baking partners challenge Anitha has suggested 2 recipes for whoopie pies, one with pumpkin and other with cocoa. I picked chocolate and this is my first try with whoopie pies. Thanks Swathi for challenging us every month with new recipes, it’s such a great opportunity for us!!!
All Purpose Flour – 1 ¾ Cup
Butter – ¾ Cup
Unsweetened Cocoa powder – ¾ cup
Baking Powder – 1tsp
Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Sugar – ¾ Cup
Egg – 1 Number (You can skip egg and instead of 1/4 cup buttermilk take 1/4 cup of yogurt)
Buttermilk – ¼ Cup
Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
Lukewarm Coffee or Water – ½ cup
Recipe Source: Joy of baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease or line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt (Pic 1).
- In a mixing bowl using electric hand mixer or stand mixer beat butter and then add sugar beat (Pic 2) still creamy and fluffy.
- Add an egg if using and beat well.
- Then vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In warm water or milk you can mix instant coffee powder (For 1/2 cup i used 1/2 tbsp strong coffee powder) and keep aside (Pic 3)
- Mix the buttermilk and water or coffee in a cup.
- Now add the flour mixture and buttermilk in three additions to the creamed butter mixture starting and ending with the flour (Pic 4).
- Refer Pic 5 for batter consistency.
- Drop tablespoon of batter into a prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Here I piped the batter into baking sheet using round large tip (Pic 6), later with moistened finger or back of the spoon shape the cookies.
- Bake for about 10 -15 minutes or until the top of the cookie spring back (Pic 7). Remove from oven and cool it on wire rack.
I used leftover green Swiss meringue butter cream that i made for a birthday party, till i post that recipe you can either use Vanilla Custard Filling i did for Choc Eclairs Recipe or Basic Butter Cream, just spread a tablespoon of filling on the flat side of the cookie. Top it with another one ie sandwich.