What you all need to make Homemade Cake Board
Rectangle or Circle Cardboard/Cake Board – I used 12 by 12 inch rectangle cardboard
Food Color – (I used Choc Brown Ameri color for Wood Effect)
Water+Sugar mixed thick syrup instead of Vodka
Paint Brush – Medium Size
Make the sugar syrup in advance
For Sugar Syrup take 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water boil for few minutes (approx. 4-5 minutes) in low to medium flame check for half string consistency (when you stretch a bit cooled syrup between your thumb and next finger it should stretch half thread at least) which is the perfect consistency.
Also you can use this sugar syrup to wet your frozen cake to retain the moisture.
- Choose the size and shape (round or rectangle) for the cake board.
- Trim the card board layers of even size.
- Since I made it for a mini party we did at home I went for 3 layers of the card board as shown in Pic 2 below.
- Apply sugar syrup for the board and make it ready to cover it with fondant.
- Roll the fondant over lightly corn starch dusted platform and then transform over the sugar syrup greased board.
- Initially i rolled the fondant over single layer board to medium thickness not too thin nor too thick, later did I attach 2 more layers (Pic 2).
- You can first attach as much layers (between layers apply sugar syrup that works well) you need and then apply fondant over the top layer, both way works.
- When you feel the fondant layer is neat and good then trim the edges (Pic 1 above).
- Take a measuring scale and make indent for each and every 1/2 inch at least (Pic 3 ), press it well for better result.
- Let them dry for at least 30-60 minutes in room temperature and when you press with fingers it should not stick (Pic 4).
- Take 2 tbsps of sugar syrup in a separate bowl and mix brown color, sugar syrup and choc brown color when mixed it gave me the perfect wood color (Pic 4).
- Now brush it over the surface(Pic 5) and leave it at room temperature to dry completely.
- Once dried well you can make another coat as well but I stopped with single coat.
- When you feel the board dried completely (Pic 6) cover it well and store in dark room till you use.
- I made it 5 days in advance and stored so, even after a week I noticed my board look good without any color fade.
- You can buy thick foam boards from Michael s or Hobby Lobby and cut desired shapes or buy cake boards and cover with fondant.
- If you wish you can hide the sides of the board with decorative tapes.