Vendakkaai/Ladies Finger Puli Kuzhambu, this is my mom’s version which doesn’t have any ground paste instead she adds a tbsp of shredded coconut at the end which tastes unique and easy to make curry. This is my last recipe which I already listed/made in the South Indian Lunch Thali/Kongunadu special menu. Also when Viji asks us to select 2 random numbers for this month Show ur style event, I opted 2 and 4, after few days she revealed the secret ingredients for 2 as Egg Plant and Okra/Ladies Finger for Number 4. So today I have successfully completed the challenge by posting a recipe related to ladies finger…
Okra/Vendakkaai/Ladies Finger – 300gms
Sambar/Red Chili Powder – 2tsp or more (I went for Homemade Sambar Powder)
Shallot Or Onion – 10 or 1 Medium size
Tomato – 1 Medium Size
Tamarind – 1 Small Lemon Size
Garlic – 4-5 Cloves
Fenugreek – 1/2tsp
Mustard – 1/4tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
*Shredded Coconut – 1 Tbsp
Coriander Powder – 2tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Coriander Leaves – Few
* You can add ground paste of coconut or coconut milk at the end instead of shredded…
- Clean, wipe and chop the okra/ladies finger in to small rounds.
- Fry them in a pan/kadai with necessary oil, till it turns light golden brown.
- Don’t overcook, frying so to get rid of stickiness.
- Extract tamarind juice by soaking tamarind in warm water for 30 minutes.
- In half of the tamarind juice add fried okra, salt and sambar powder.
- Cook it for 5 minutes in stove top or microwave, ie till okra is cooked 50%.
- Meanwhile start tempering in hot oil the mustard and fenugreek.
- Add finely chopped garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes in medium flame.
- Then add chopped onion and wait to turn light golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomato, salt and saute till it mashes well.
- Add curry leaves, coriander powder,turmeric powder, half cooked okra tamarind mixture.
- Cook all together for another 3-5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add reserved half of the tamarind juice as much u need.
- Also adjust spice/red chili powder and salt now.
- Add shredded coconut and allow for single boiling point.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves n remove from flame.
- Can add 2 tsp of pottukadalai/roasted gram/dalia in water and add at final stage for gravy thickness.
- You can skip shredded coconut and add coconut milk instead.
- I have updated the pictures recently in the background i have placed okra/vendakkai poriyal, check the recipe here.