Today’s Kongunadu Special Vegetarian Lunch Menu | South Indian Thali post is going to be a very long and interesting one. Our blogger friend is celebrating her birthday today. Happy Birthday Manju (Aug 26th ), may god give you all more happiness, good health and wealth :-). To celebrate Manju’s birthday virtually, we blogger friends planned to make a thali as she love thali much. She is a Rajasthani girl hope she likes this South Indian Lunch Thali :-). I prepared the thali based on feast the guests…Whoever the visitor is, first we invite them with a glass of water, even they not hesitate to drink, least make a sip of it. It’s our culture and Virunthombal (Feasting the guest) is predominantly followed still. I am proud to do this post and listed few Kongu traditional recipes here (Leave your comments if I missed out any and also I will update when I invent more from my ancestors :-).
Kongunadu Special Vegetarian Lunch Menu Ideas
rice), Sweet Urad dhal/Methu Vada, Thevaiyam(Sweet Fried Puttu), Sandhagai/Santhagai, Soiyan (Rice Batter Kachori/Fritters), Peerkangaai Masiyal, Thuvaram Paruppu Sambar (Toor Dhal),
Ratham Kudhal Poriyal (Non Veg) are the top most Kongu special recipes. Pottukadalai (Split Roasted Gram), Coconut, Coriander Seeds (Dhania), Cumin, Pepper,
Kambu, Kollu, Ragi , Peanut Oil, Turmeric and Thinai are frequently use ingredients in day today life.
Tomato Sandhagaai (Savory String hoopers)
The below picture is my grandma’s ancient sandhagaai/sevai/string hooper making kitchen gadget (sandhaga kattai/manai), the white paint in that is a symbol/mark to easily identify it from neighbors and relatives :-).
Kambu Lemon Sevai/Sandhagai (String Hoopers)
Ragi Sevai (String Hoppers)
Here I share few pictures clicked recently in our land…
My Son’s Pet 🙂
I am thinking to make a separate post with few other pictures in forth coming days. Ok now coming to today’s thali, the menu items are
- Split Moong Dhal Killu Vadai/Pakoda
- Carrot and Beans Poriyal
- Beet Root Poriyal
- Vendakkaai Puli Mandi/Kulambu (Okra/LadiesFinger in tamarind sauce)
- Uppu Paruppu
- Pachai Puli Rasam (Recipe Follows n one i served in glass bowl in the final display picture)
- Neer More | Spiced Butter Milk
- White Rice
Pachai Puli (Raw Tamarind) No Cook Rasam/Soup Recipe
Cumin Powder/Hing – A Pinch
- Soak the tamarind in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Extract the pulp by adding necessary water.
- As we are not going to boil this rasam, make sure to use filtered/drinking water to this rasam.
- Chop the shollots, green chilis very finely.
- Add it to the extracted pulp with salt.
- Some may temper mustard and curry leaves and add it to the rasam.
- Its optional i didn’t do so.
- Serve with hot rice or can be drink as it is as soup.