Today I am here with a popular Kongunadu recipe, Sweet Methu Vada உளுந்து கச்சாயம் sweet urad dhal vada or inippu ulunthu kachayam. Here I have shown the stone grinding method, you can use electric wet grinder to do the same. I have uploaded a short video how to grind using ancient stone mortar and pestle (aatangal) and to make holes for vada, so take a look before trying this recipe. Amma took the grinding part and Selvi our neighbor helped in frying it. I just did clicking and recording this recipe (also tasting part :-). The basket/koodai in display picture is the one i am preserving it from my childhood. I used it to sow seeds when parents worked in farm and was equally worked/tried what they did. I am keeping the basket safe as a treasure from my childhood days 🙂
Ingredients For Sweet Methu Vada உளுந்து கச்சாயம்
Whole Urad Dhal – 1 Cup
Raw Rice – 1 Tbsp
Sugar – 3/4th Cup – 1 Cup
Oil – To Fry
How to make Sweet Methu Vada உளுந்து கச்சாயம்
- Soak dhal and rice for 1 hour.
- Drain the excess water and blend it (Pic 1).
- When half mashed add sugar in 3 proportions (Pic 2) and continue grinding.
- Don’t add water through the entire grinding process, if needed you can sprinkle some.
- For right consistency, the dhal should blend well (no coarse texture), it should be soft and fluffy.
- You can check by dropping a spoonful of batter in water, it should immediately float on top (Pic 3).
- Heat oil and wet your hand before making hole and drop it carefully (check my video too).
- Cook in medium heat otherwise the vadas burn quickly and turn dark brown becoz of sugar in it.
- Drain excess oil using paper towel (Pic 4).
- I strongly recommend tasting the vadas after 2-3 hours and we especially mix and taste it with banana.
- While grinding you can wet your hands and if needed sprinkle some water
- Don’t add too much water while grinding the dough and Also add sugar in intervals.
- Once it attained the right consistency, fry it as soon as possible and don’t refrigerate the batter, otherwise it absorbs lot of oil while frying.
- You can make Sweet Methu Vada உளுந்து கச்சாயம் without holes too.