Recipe Source – Adapted fro here
Fresh Strawberries/Crushed – 5-7 Numbers/3 Tbsp (The quantity may vary depending on consistency)
Granulated white sugar – 7 Tbsp
Baking powder – ½tsp
Salt – A pinch
Vanilla essence – 1tsp
Dark Chocolate/Nutella – for filling
Red/Pink Food Color – Optional
- Whisk the dry ingredients like flour,salt and baking powder together in a mixing bowl and sift it.
- Crush the strawberries in a bowl using potato masher/dhal masher, it should not be runny n watery (Pic 1).
- In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar using a hand whisk or electric blender for about 4 mins (Pic 2).
- Add the vanilla essence and crushed strawberry to the bowl and combine well with the butter mixture using a whisk.
- Fold in the flour mixture with the butter mixture gently to form dough (Pic 3).
- The dough will be soft and a little sticky but not loose (Pic 4).
- Don’t give over pressure to dough (don’t over mix).
- Once combined, cover the dough with plastic wrap/cling film and refrigerate for 1/2-1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease the cookie sheet with parchment paper(Mine is non stick pan so i didn’t do so)
- Take out the refrigerated dough, lightly oil your palms and make even small balls with it.(I used 1 Tbsp for even measurement Pic 5)
- Put the balls on the cookies sheet and press down slightly to flatten out (Pic 5).
- With the help of your thumb or back of a tea-spoon/rolling pin make a small hole in the middle of the cookies to fill after baking (Pic 5).
- Bake the cookies in the oven for about 8-12 minutes or until the bottom starts turning brown (Pic 6).
- Do not bake too long, these will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven.
- Take out the cookies from the oven and again using the teaspoon press out the hole in the cookies.
- Press it when cookies are hot, you will not able to do this after the cookies have cooled.
- You have many options like nutella/instant fruit jams to fill the cookies.
- Also you can melt the chocolates using double broiler (Pic 7) and filled the cookies (Pic 8).
- You can add few chocolate chips when the cookies are hot i.e immediately out of oven, it makes it melt and fill the cookies perfectly (Pic 8).