Kollu or Horse gram or Whole Lentils – 1/2 Cup
Shallot/Pearl Onion – 4 Numbers
Garlic – 4 Numbers
Cumin – 2tsp
Whole pepper – 1tsp
Whole Red Chili – 2 Numbers or More
Coriander Powder – 1and1/2tsp
Tamarind – Small Lemon Size
Water and Salt – As Required
Mustard seeds – 1/4tsp
Ghee/Oil – 1tsp
Vadagam or Curry leaves – Few
- Soak lentil/kollu/horse gram overnight or in warm water for atleast 5 hours.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract juice.
- Yu can either saute the ingredients or directly add with lentils.
- In 1/2tsp oil saute all ingredients except tamarind for a while, don’t over cook (Optional).
- WE usually add the raw ingredients.
- Pressure cook the sauteed stuff/raw ingredients with soaked horse gram for 3-4 whistles.
- When cooled completely, grind to coarse or fine paste with tamarind and salt.
- If necessary you can add the cooked lentil soup.
- In a kadi/pan add oil or ghee, temper mustard, onion or paruppu vadagam or curry leaves and add it over the ground masiyal/chutney.
- Serve with rice and ghee, here i served it with Thattai Paruppu Kuzhambu, Keerai/Spinach Poriyal and Ghee.
Picture I – All the necessary ingredients for chutney.
II – Boiled Lentil.
III – Ground chutney.
1. Use the tamarind as a whole or extract the juice and add while grinding.
2. Use the leftover kollu water for making kollu rasam.
The best weight reduction and healthy chutney for dosas
Tasty and tempting chutney !
looks tempting n new to me 🙂
can we add one or two red chillies to make it spicy…
Yes sir you can add more chilies as you like…
Thank you Madam…