Toor Dhal/Split Yellow Moong dhal/Masoor dhal – 3/4 Cup
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Whole Black Pepper – 3/4tsp
Whole Green/Red Chili – 1-2 Number
Garlic – 4 Number
Shallot – 2 Number (or) Onion small slice (Optional)
Curry Leaves – 10 Leaves
Turmeric Powder,Salt,Water – As Required
Oil or Ghee – 2tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Vengaya vadakam (Optional)
Old Picture Updated
- In a pressure cooker add the cleaned dhal, water & turmeric powder.
- Heat oil add cumin & pepper when splutters add onion, chili,sliced garlic and curry leaves.
- Mix it with dhal in the pressure cooker and allow 3 hisses (Toor Dhal needs 3 hisses other dhal require less than that).
- Add salt and mash well, season with mustard seeds + curry leaves or vengaya vadakam which is optional.
- Serve hot with Plain rice+Ghee and Appalam, also goes well for chapathi,roti varieties.