Recently I posted Ragi Sev| String hopper recipe, you may think then what is the difference in posting again a recipe with Bajri/kambu? Today I have used the whole grain to make Kambu Sevai Idiyappam instead of store bought flour and also gave tangy touch to the sev by adding lemon juice. This Sevai goes very well with coconut chutney (recipe follows). So let’s see how to make Kambu Lemon Santhagai from scratch 🙂
Whole Kambu/Pearl Millet – 1 Cup
Instant Bajri/Bajra/Kambu Flour – 2 Cups
Rice Flour – 1 Cup
Shallots/Small Onion – 10 Numbers
Lemon Juice from 1 Big Lemon
Green Chili – 2
Curry Leaves – Few
Salt, Water and Oil – As Required
How to make Kambu Idiyappam
- Soak Kambu/Millet overnight or at least 8 hrs.
- Drain the excess water and pat dry for another 30 mins (Pic 1).
- Grind and sieve the flour to nice powder (Pic 2).
- For one cup of whole grain you may get 2 cups of fine powder and 1/2 cup of residues (Pic 2).
- The residues you can mix with dosa batter, check my Kambu dosa recipe to know more.
- So for 3 cups of Bajri + Rice flour ((Pic 3) add 4 cups of water and mix without lumps (Pic 4).
- Start cooking the batter in medium flame with continuous stir.
- At one stage the moisture evaporates and batter turns to soft dough.
- Apply 2tsp of oil to scrap all the sides and allow to cool (Pic 5).
- Heat the idli pan with necessary water and squeeze the dough in the oil greased idli plates (Pic 7) using sev press (Pic 6).
- Steam it for 3-5mins or till the sevai cooks well.
- Repeat the same process for remaining dough.
- Keep the cooked string hoppers in a plate (Pic 8).
- Clean and chop the shallots and green chilis (Pic 8).
- Prepare the lemon juice too (Pic 8).
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil,temper mustard, urad dhal to it.
- Add curry leaves,green chilis, shallots n turmeric powder to it.
- Now add the kambu sev in to it (Pic 9).
- Give a gentle stir by adding lemon juice (Pic 10).
- Check the salt and serve hot with coconut chutney.
Shredded Coconut – 1 Cup
Green Chilis – 2 Numbers
Pottu Kadalai/ Dhalia – 2-3 Tbsp
Salt and Water
Grind all together and temper with mustard and curry leaves.