Today’s recipe is quick yet yummy starter that can be made in few minutes of time. Unlike the egg pakoras/bajji this Muttai Egg Bonda s are made with thick batter contains chopped onions and chilis’. This snack is very popular in South India and I have tasted it in theaters during my childhood days. I have mentioned that story in my baked egg muffins/bonda recipe do check it for the healthier version of this bondas!!!
Ingredients for Muttai Egg Bonda Recipe
Boiled Eggs – 2 Numbers
Kadala Maavu/Besan Flour/Gram Flour – 1 Cup
Rice Flour – 1/3 Cup
Green Chilis – 1-2 Numbers
Red Chili Powder – 1-2tsp
Baking Soda – 1/8tsp
Shallot/Onion – 5 Numbers
Chopped Curry and Coriander Leaves – Few
Salt n Oil – As Needed
Method for Muttai Egg Bonda Recipe
- Boil the eggs and cut in to halve.
- Chop or grate the green chilis.
- Keep the other ingredients ready (Pic 1).
- Sprinkle little water at a time and mix gently.
- The batter consistency should be very thick (Pic 2).
- Mean while heat oil in a frying pan/kadai.
- Add 1-1n1/2 Tbsps of hot oil to the batter mixture and mix gently.
- Now take sliced egg one at a time(pic 3) and gently cover it with the thick besan batter.
- The dough will be little sticky so you can either wet your hands before rolling or use some ziploc/plastic sheets to avoid sticky hands while covering the eggs.
- But when you use your hands and drop as it is you will get the crispy outer layer when compared to properly rolled round bondas, I liked the crispy fried one much.
- Make sure to coat the egg well with besan mixture, when egg white or yolk is not properly coated then they may give crack sound while deep frying.
- Add the coated egg in hot oil, flip and cook both side well till they turns golden brown in color.
- You can serve this yummy bondas with coconut chutney or plain with hot tea or coffee.
- Add more red chili powder or green chilis as required.
- You can add full egg but make sure to prick or slit the eggs before coating with batter.