Horse gram/Lentil is a heavy and healthy filling appetite…Apart from sundal I make Chutney/masiyal and Rasam/soup frequently. Today going to share my experience with varieties of this gram and method of cooking in the form of sundal…
Lentil/Horse gram – 3/4th Cup
Green Chili – 1 – 2 Numbers.
Oil – 2tsp
Mustard – 1tsp
Split Urad dhal – 1 Tbsp
Chana Dhal – 1 Tbsp
Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – Few Leaves
Salt n Water – As needed
Method I for Neivedhyam
- Soak kollu/horsegram overnight or at least for 8hrs and pressure cook with enough water n salt for 3-4 whistles.
- If using Whole lentils (Large/Medium) size directly pressure cook for 1 whistle for large size lentil or 2 whistles for medium sized lentil.
- Better stop by 1 whistle, check it and if needed allow more time to cook.
- In hot oil temper with mustard, add in quick succession chana, urad dhal, green chili n curry leaves.
- Finally add boiled lentil and serve hot…
Method II – On other days
The same above process but usually I add sliced onions and pinch of garam masala or chat masala during takda/tempering…
1) Our original Kollu/horse gram looks tiny but takes long time to cook and needs soaking, make sure that the gram is free from muds n stones.
2) Today I have used medium size lentils.
3) I usually cook the lentil/horse gram with same soaked water and the lentil stock can be used for making Rasam/soup.