I already have few spinach/keerai poriyal recipes including some cooked dal and sambar powder or green chili versions. Today’s recipe is very healthy where red chili and shredded coconut dominates the taste. You can try this with any green leaves you use for making stir fry/poriyal, here I used manathakali (night shade greens).
Star Ingredients are Red Chilis and Shredded Coconut
Manathakkali Keerai – 1 Bunch
Dry Red Chilis – 3 Numbers (you can replace with chili flakes)
Chana and Urad Dhal – 1 Tbsp Each
Shredded Coconut – 1/3 Cup
Shallots or Onion – 6 Numbers or 1 Large
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Salt – As Needed
Oil – as needed
- Clean and roughly chop the keerai.
- Make all the other ingredients ready.
- In a kadai/pan add oil when it is hot add mustard seeds.
- Allow mustard to splutter completely then add urad and chana dals.
- When dals turn golden brown add chopped onion, optional hing, salt and red chilis.
- Saute till onion changes translucent and light brown.
- Now add chopped keerai and turn the flame to medium.
- Cook till it turns tender and when all the water evaporates add shredded coconut.
- Saute for a minute or two, adjust salt and put off the stove.
- Serve this keerai with hot rice and sambar, very good combo 🙂