This homemade raw rice flour tastes great for all snack items when compared to store bought flour. The preparation is very easy and i have provided them with step by step pictures, do follow the same when you make it!!! Last week i made this rice flour in bulk to make several festive snack (except red aval
ladoo) for krishna jayanthi, here in the below picture…
Ponni Raw Rice or Sona Masoori Rice – 2 Cups
Yields :- 4 and 1/2 Cup Flour Approx
In the below picture you can notice a glass bowl with batter its none other than athirasam batter.
Homemade Raw Rice Flour Preparation
- Wash and Soak the rice with enough water for 2 hours at least.
- Drain the excess water (Pic 1) and pat dry over a cloth for 30 minutes at least (Pic 2).
- Spread them well like shown in picture 2 .
- After 30 minutes take a small batch at a time in a food processor (Pic 3) and grind them to fine powder (Pic 4).
- Meanwhile you can cover the remaining rice so that rice won’t dry too much.
- The purpose of maintaining moisture in the rice is to grind smooth and minimal leftover of coarse rice.
- Sieve them well (Pic 5) and the strained coarse mixture can again be grind with the next batch rice.
- Do repeat the process till you finish grinding all the spreaded rice.
- Now the soft rice flour (Pic 6) can be used to make snacks like Adhirasam, Murukku/chakli, mixture, thattu vadai so and so (recipe links at the end of the post).
- Measure the flour (Pic 7), dry fry it till flour reaches smoky point (but don’t burn it), after turning off the heat do mix it for 3 times at short intervals for the steam to escape.
- Also once cooled completely do dry fry few more minutes to make sure its free from moisture so that it stays good in the room temperature for more days.
- When its well cooled, store it in an air tight container for later use.
- You can also immediately use in recipes ie the wet flour can be used in Athirasam, Murukku kind of snack items. I have listed few more recipes and click each to get the recipe…
Quick Dinner Kozhukattai Recipes
- Thengaai Poorana Kozhukattai | Coconut Jaggery Stuffed Modak Recipe
- Ammini Kaara Kozhukattai | Seasoned Mini Rice Balls Recipe
- Moong Bean Savory Kozhukattai | Kaara Kozhukattai
- Milk (Paal) Kozhukattai | Ellu Pooranam Neivedhyam Recipes
- Paal Kozhukattai with Jaggery
- Sundal Kozhukattai
- Sweet Pottukadalai and Uppu Pidi Kozhukattai | Ganesh Chaturthi Specials
- Kadalai Paruppu Modhagam | Chana Dal Modak Recipe
1) Uppu Seedai
5) Instant Idiyappam/Sandhagai
7) Ola Pakoda
10) Onion Pakoda
- Never ever store the wet flour in fridge more than one day, fungus forms if you refrigerate for longer days.
- You can dry the flour well and store in pantry or refrigerator for later use.
🪔 Jaggery Paal Kozhukattai
🪔 Ammini Kaara Kozhukattai
🪔 Thengaai Poorana Kozhukattai
🪔 Kadalai Paruppu Poorana Kozhukattai
🪔 Ellu Poorana Kozhukattai
🪔 Verkadalai Poorana Kozhukattai
🪔 Sundal Kaara Kozhukattai
🪔 Karuppu Konda Kadalai Sundal
🪔 Yellow Peas Sundal
🪔 Araithuvitta Vellai Poosanikaai Sambar
🪔 Cabbage Poriyal
🪔 Grape Tomato Rasam
☘️ Vella Seedai / Inippu Seedai (this time I used palm jaggery/Karupatti)
☘️ Uppu Seedai
☘️ Thattai / Thattu Vadai
☘️ Puli Aval / Tamarind Poha
☘️ Aval Laddu / Poha Ladoo
☘️ Sivappu Aval Peanut Laddu / Poha Peanut Ladoo
☘️ Palkova using regular milk
☘️ Butter and fruits
good post .