I tried this sundal kozhukattai savoury modak recipe with the yesterdays leftover from Vellai sundal/Yellow peas stir fry. It’s really a good one for sugar watchers or savory likers….will move on to the recipe in detail…
Ingredients for sundal kozhukattai savoury modak Stuffing
Whole Yellow Peas/Vellai Pattani – 1/2 Cup (Replace with Moong dhal in this case soaking is not necessary)
Onion – 1 Medium Size (Optional) Green Chili – 2-3 Numbers
Mustard – 1/4tsp
Chana Dhal – 2 Tbsp
Shredded Coconut – 2 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp (Optional)
Curry Leaves – Few
Salt and Oil – As Needed
- Soak peas overnight or at least 5 hours and pressure cook with necessary water and salt for 3 hisses.
- Drain the excess water and either you grind the lentil in mixie/blender to coarse/fine paste or leave it as it is.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan add oil when hot add mustard seeds.
- After seeds splutter add chana dhal, and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add Chopped onions, curry leaves, green chili and saute till onion changes light brown.
- Add the peas, shredded coconut and mix till most of the moisture goes off.
- Allow to cool meanwhile prepare the outer rice covering.
- Actually i made fine paste of green chillis and added.
- Finally adjust with red chili/sambar powder if you need so..
- Adding onion is up to you…
Rice Flour/Idiyappam Flour – 1 Cup (I use rice flour)
Ghee – 1/2 Tbsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1 Cup
- Boil water, salt and ghee till bubbles appear.
- Add this hot water in batches to rice flour (Refer below picture).
- You may not need all the water I used only 3/4th cup.
- Once the flours gather and forms dough, stop adding water, cover and leave it aside for 5 minutes.
- After that add 1-2 tsp of oil and knead the dough, if needed you can sprinkle water at this point and make soft, crack less dough.
- Make even lemon size balls out of it (8-10 balls).
- Also make even balls from the lentil stuff prepared already.
- Flat the outer covering, make cup shape and place the savory lentil stuff inside and cover it gently.
- Check the pictures below which i uploaded already for Sweet Ellu pooranam/kozhukattai recipe.
- Do the same for remaining dough and grease the idli plates with oil.
- Place the stuffed modaks and steam it for 5 minutes or till modaks get glossy appearance.
- I took this last picture very late in the evening.
- The outer covering may break because when you prepared the dough long time before filling the stuffs.
- Also if it breaks then it needs more moisture ie sprinkle little water and knead it well.
cute modaks 🙂 I love your presentation too
modaks looks super yumy n nice cliks..
Modak looks very yummy and inviting..perfectly done.
Very innovatice and tasty modak.
Different variety of modhagam.
Lovely presentation and a very interesting filling for kozhukattais.
That's a healthy & tasty modakam with a twist.. Looks yum 🙂
Super healthy and yummy savory kozhukattai…. awesome and very inviting….
I love the beautiful clicks, the flowers gives a nice lift tot he kozhukattai…
new type of filling…shots look cool..
Adore the whole thing, the picture and the modaks too.
Yummy and healthy dish . Looks very cute
looks fabulous and the flowers gorgeous.
Nice pooranam. new to me.
Delicious and healthy modakam.