It’s a regular practice at mom place to finish of the dinner with some rice and curd, even if she prepare chapati or Tiffin, Dad/Appa and Brother finish off the dinner with some curd rice still. Rice for dinner is rare here but sometimes when we load spicy foods or oily stuffs for lunch, I make this buttermilk rice/Mor sadham with shallot and ginger flavor for dinner or H asks me to pack it for Monday lunch. That makes the stomach light and comfort. This is a low fat version one pot meal and tastes great. Don’t skip the shallots, if not available try with some chopped onion.
Cooked Rice – 1 Cup
Butter Milk – 1 n1/2 Cups or More
Shallots – 5-6 Numbers
Chana Dal – 1/2 Tbsp
Red Chilis – 1-2 Numbers
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Ginger – Few shredded
Curry Leaves – Few
Salt and Oil – As Needed
- Cook the rice for 1 cup rice use 2 n1/2 cups water and cook for 3 hisses.
- Once pressure goes off mash the rice(optional), if you have already cooked leftover rice then use it as it is (i did so).
- In a pan/kadai add oil when oil is hot add mustard seeds.
- Allow them to splutter then add chana dal.
- Let it turn golden brown then add chopped shallots, chili’s, ginger and curry leaves (Pic 1).
- Add 1/4tsp salt for the onions to cook soon.
- Once done switch off the flame add the butter milk (Pic 2) when the mixture is warm.
- You can leave it for few more minutes so that the chana dal gets soften.
- Also add the warm rice (not too hot) to the mixture and mix them well (Pic 3).
- Adding warm rice and buttermilk to warm onion mixture gives nice flavor to the rice.
- Adjust salt and serve with pickle or maavadu/mor milagaai vathal.