The one most common thing among my two kids is strawberries, they both like this fruit to core and sometimes I get requests from my elder one for this chocolate covered strawberries. She takes to school for morning snacks or as after school snack at home. This is a very easy to make dessert you can make it for a party or get together in minutes 🙂
Chocolate Chips or Chocolate – 3/4th Cup
Strawberries – 12-15 Medium Size
White Chocolate – 3 Tbsp (To make white patterns)
* Veg Shortening – 1 Tbsp
* Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
* In some chocolates you may not need the shortening and oil once they melted to perfect consistency.
- Wash the strawberries and wipe the excess water over strawberries using kitchen towel (Pic 1).
- Place the chocolates or chips in glass bowl (Pic 1).
- Insert tooth pick at the center of each strawberries (Pic 2), if you skip this step then your fingers become messy while dipping in chocolates.
- Melt the chocolate chips or chocolate over simmering water ie double broiler.
- Keep stirring once 3/4th melted take it out and keep stirring.
- Once all melted and turns smooth texture add shortening (optional).
- Stir well and dip the bowl in cold water for the chocolates to cool down, otherwise they may turn hard and sometimes crumbly.
- If its of perfect consistency (you can check pictures here) then start dipping strawberries (Pic 3).
- Otherwise add oil and check it for dropping consistency, if not you can add more shortening but make sure the chocolate is warm to melt the shortening.
- Dip the strawberries using the toothpick as a grip and rotate gently to remove the excess chocolates (Pic 3).
- I felt comfortable with the cooler rack from Wilton, while placing carefully drop it with the toothpick facing down (Pic 4).
- Repeat the above process till you done covering all the strawberries.
- It may take 20 minutes approximately for them to dry at room temperature, refrigerate for quick setting.
- Meanwhile melt the white chocolates (Pic 5) using double broiler and pour it in Ziploc or piping bag.
- Trim the edge using scissors, make sure the hole size is small.
- Squeeze the piping bag and make patterns over chocolate covered strawberries (Pic 6).
- This may take just 5 minutes to set.
- You can serve immediately or chill/refrigerate it for later use.