Well each and every one is expecting lots of fresh fruits for this summer and especially Mangoes, am i right :-). Already ripe Mangoes, Strawberry, Oranges and Pineapple are available in plenty now at a reasonable price, though raw mangoes are bit expensive here. But i don’t want to give up this yummilicious savory treat, Raw Mango Rice that can be done in jiffy when you have cooked rice in handy. Also its a perfect lunch box special or one pot meal for lunch…I have posted a chill Mango Fruit Custard dessert few days back as a token of summer start do check for more mango recipes Here…
Basmati Rice or Any Rice – 1 Cup
Raw Mango – 1 Number (As shown in Picture 1 below, approx 1 Cup to 1n1/4 Cup depends on the Tangi-ness, try to pick very raw mango when you press it should be hard and not tender)
Urad Dal – 1 Tbsp
Chana Dal – 1 Tbsp
Idli Milagaai Podi or Peanut Podi/Powder- 1 Tbsp (Optional)
Curry Leaves – Few
Grated Ginger – 2tsp
Red Chilis – 2-3 Numbers (You can use mix of green and dry chilis too)
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp (or 1tsp of Cumin Seeds)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Roasted Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Salt and Oil – As Needed
- Soak rice for 30 minutes at least and pressure cook with 2tsp oil and 1n1/2 cups of water for 2 hisses.
- Once pressure goes off spread the rice in wide pan/tray for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash, peel the skin as shown in Picture 1.
- Grate the mango using the long hole in grater Pic 2.
- In a pan/kadai heat oil when its hot add mustard or cumin seeds, allow to splutter completely.
- Then add chana and urad dals followed by grated ginger, chilis and curry leaves.
- Add Turmeric, salt and grated/shredded mango (Pic 3).
- Keep the flame in low and gently saute for another 5 minutes (Pic 4).
- Once it cooked add the separated and cooked rice (reserve 1/2 Cup) and Milagaai powder or Peanut Powder.
- Adjust salt and finally add the roasted peanuts as well (Pic above).
- Stir them gently so the powder coats well with rice.
- Taste it and the rice should be bit tangy if its so remove it form heat otherwise if its too tangy adjust with reserved rice.
- Serve it with Peanut Chutney or Tomato Chutney.
- You can add cooked white chana instead of peanuts.
- Also instead of roasted peanuts add boiled one.