Today’s recipe is simple yet delicious Plain Salna Parotta Chalna Peas Kurma. It’s called Parota Chalna in Southern part of India which tastes awesome with Layered Flat bread aka Barotta…The same can be a great side dish for Chapathi and Naan kind of stuffs. This plain Salna is a quick fix gravy which can be done under 30 minutes and it doesn’t need any fresh vegetables also you can make this simple curry with just few pantry default ingredients and with or without some frozen peas and corn.
Ingredients for Plain Salna Parotta Chalna Peas Kurma
Onion – 1 Large
Tomato – 2 Medium
Red Chili Powder – 2 tsp or more
Green Chili – 1 Number
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Green Peas – 1/4 Cup
Salt and Oil – As Needed
Bay Leaves – 2 Numbers
Sombu/Fennel Seeds – 1/8tsp
Coconut – 1/2 Cup (replace with coconut milk and refer tips)
Dalia/Roasted Gram – 1 Tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 3/4tsp
How to make Plain Salna Parotta Chalna Peas Kurma
- Grind coconut, roasted gram and fennel seeds (Step wise Pic 3) with necessary water to smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a kadai/pan heat enough oil, temper with 1/8 tsp fennel seeds and bay leaves.
- When they pop up add finely chopped onion and 1/2 tsp salt, saute (Pic 1) till onion changes golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomato, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Saute till tomato mashes well (Pic 2).
- Then add coriander powder and green peas (Pic 2), if necessary add water for the green peas to cook or use cooked peas, mine is frozen sweet peas so i didn’t cook separately.
- Add the ground coconut paste(Pic 4) and necessary water.
- Adjust salt and red chili powder, allow them to cook well (Pic 5), simmer if for 5-8 minutes after it boils well.
- Serve it with parotta/chapathi/Naan kind of stuffs.
- You can check some Chapathi/Naan varieties HERE.
- If using store bought coconut milk then just grind the pottukadalai and fennel seeds later mix with the gravy.