Eggless Butterless Vanilla Sponge Cake you heard it right , i haven’t use any condensed milk or oil. Just the homey ingredient yes yogurt make wonders and this sponge is used to prepare cream loaded cakes. Especially I prepare this Vanilla sponge cake to make layers for Tiramisu, an Italian dessert. Tiramisu filling has Cheese and Whipped Cream (butter rich contents), so i usually prefer making the base cake an Eggless and butterless one. Here is the detailed procedure for making this simple and soft/sponge cake.
Use Exact Measurements otherwise cake texture may vary
Ingredients for Eggless Butterless Vanilla Sponge Cake
All Purpose Flour/Maida – 1 and 1/2 Cup
* Thick Curd/Yogurt or Sour Cream – 1 Cup (If using reduced fat/watery yogurt then take 1 n 1/4 Cups of Yogurt and add 2 tbsp of milk powder or 2-3 tbsp of soft butter)
Baking Powder – 1 and 1/2tsp (I use double acting) **
Baking Soda – 3/4th tsp (I use double acting soda) **
Pure Vanilla Extract – 2tsp (You can use cardamom powder instead)
Granulated/Regular Sugar – 1 Cup or more
Milk – 1/4 Cup (Optional)
Salt – Pinch
* If Yogurt is not sour you can add 2tsp of lemon juice.
** If using usual baking soda and powder, add it in the yogurt and beat, other process are same as mentioned below.
Printable Version For Eggless Butterless Vanilla Sponge Cake
- All Purpose Flour/Maida - 1 and 1/2 Cup
- * Thick Curd/Yogurt or Sour Cream - 1 Cup If using reduced fat/watery yogurt then take 1 n 1/4 Cups of Yogurt and add 2 tbsp of milk powder or 2-3 tbsp of soft butter
- Baking Powder - 1 n 1/2tsp I use double acting
- Baking Soda - 3/4th tsp I use double acting soda
- Pure Vanilla Extract - 2tsp You can use cardamom powder instead
- Granulated/Regular Sugar - 1 Cup or more
- Milk - 1/4 Cup Optional
- Salt - Pinch
- If Yogurt is not sour you can add 2tsp of lemon juice.
- ** If using usual baking soda and powder add it in the yogurt and beat, other process are same as mentioned below.
Instead of butter i am using yogurt so start with it.
In a large bowl add yogurt and sugar whisk well for few mins.
If adding milk powder or butter add right now.
Add baking powder, soda,flour and salt in a separate bowl, whisk together.
Add flour mixture in to yogurt in 3 additions.
Finally add vanilla essenc, once done and if it is not to dropping consistency adjust it with few drops of milk.
The batter should not be too runny, yogurt has too much moisture in it, so make a thick yet dropping consistency batter...
I will upload batter consistency picture when i make next time.
Grease the pan with light butter or Oil and flour.
Pour the batter in greased round/square cake pans.
Tiramisu needs a moisture cake, so I poured the thin batter in a square cake pan covered (bottom n sides) with aluminum foil.
You can directly pour the batter in pans, only thing is you get a thick browned outer crust.
Preheat the oven to 350° F, bake for 18-22mins or till toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
Allow to cool completely on wire rack before slicing it.