kulambu version while a friend of mine
shared her no onion no coconut vatha kulambu with us I was totally inspired and asked her about the recipe. This recipe was given by her orally and do try this version and let me know your feedbacks.
Ingredients for Traditional South Indian Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu
Sundakkai Vathal – 1/2 Cup
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 Cup
Salt and Sesame Oil – As Needed
Crushed Garlic – 4 Numbers (Optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
Red Chili Powder or Sambar Powder – 1-2tsp as per taste
Curry leaves – Few
To Saute and Grind
Chana Dal – 1 Tbsp
Methi Seeds – 1/2tsp
Dry Red Chilli/ Milagai Vathal – 4-5 Numbers
Mustard Seeds – 1/2tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 Tbsp or Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2tsp
- Dry roast the ingredients given under to saute and grind without oil, once cooled done powder it fine.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and extract the pulp with required water.
- Add generous oil and once it is hot temper 1/2tsp mustard seeds, add crushed garlic and curry leaves.
- Now add the vathal and saute well in oil to light its bitterness.
- Add turmeric, tamarind extract (if It is thick dilute with 1/2cup water)
- Allow them to boil till it reaches half in quantity.
- Simmer the flame and add the ground powder, stir well immediately to prevent lumps.
- Adjust salt and spice accordingly and once it reaches the vathal kulambu consistency as shown in pictures, remove it from the flame.
- Serve with suta appalam and rice