Today I am here with a tangy and spicy typical South Indian Venthaya
Poodu Kuzhambu. The complete South Indian meal contains Rice, Sambar, Puli
Kuzhambu, Rasam/Soup, Poriyal/Stir Fry, Papad and Pickle and today’s recipe is
one among them. This fenugreek gravy goes very well with Rice and Tiffin
Fenugreek/Venthayam – 1 Tbsp
Shallot – 7 Numbers or Onion – 1 Medium Size
Tomato – 1/2 Small Size
Garlic – 5-6 Numbers
Tamarind Extract – 1/3 Cup or as needed
Red Chili Powder – 1-2tsp or more
Mustard Seeds – 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves – Few
Oil – 2-3 Tbsp or more
Water & Salt – As Required
Whole Red Chili – 3 Numbers
Coriander Seeds – 1n1/2 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/tsp
Shallots – 2 Numbers
Cumin – 1/2tsp
Pepper Corns – 7 Number
Shredded Coconut – 1/4 Cup
- Soak fenugreek overnight or 8 hours atleast.
- Chop the onion, tomato and slice garlic.
- Grind coriander seeds, 2 shallots, cumin, pepper, red chili & coconut to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan tamper mustard then add sliced garlic and soaked fenugreek sort till nice aroma arrives.
- Then add onion, curry leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ground paste and 1/tsp salt saute for a while till raw smell disappears.
- Now add chopped tomato cook till it mashes well.
- When oil floats finally add tamarind juice and necessary water make a thick gravy.
- Check the salt and spiciness adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with optional coriander leaves and serve with Rice/Tiffin Varieties.
- Here in display i served this gravy with rice, okra stir fry and dal sambar.