original recipe without egg had potato flakes, I used cooked potato instead. The rolls were so soft, tasted buttery and was so delicious. We the whole family enjoyed it n prepared it 2 times before posting here. I have given the tastier n healthier recipe in detail from scratch, will move on to the recipe in detail.
Multi Grain/Whole Wheat Flour – 3/4th Cup
Dry active Yeast – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Butter – 4 Tbsp
Boiled Potato – 1 Number
Regular Milk – 1 Cup
- In warm milk add yeast, sugar n salt, mix just to dissolve yeast.
- Add butter, halve of the boiled potato n flours (APF+Multi grain flour)
- First mash the potato well n then mix all other ingredients.
- Knead to soft pliable dough, if needed add more milk n salt.
- Rest the dough in warm place for 45-60 mins or till it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
- By this time dough will ferments n ready to roll, punch the dough to release the air, then make desired shapes.
- I have made 3 shapes out of it,
1) Lion House Shape – I followed this video, but I stuffed potato peas masala as shown in the picture below.
2) Braided Shape – I followed this video, but I have used 3 strands.
3) Clover Shape – Make round balls, cut in to 4 equal parts and place three in muffin pan as shown in picture 4, for video click here.
I have experimented chocolate cup cakes. shown above in the muffin pan which posted here.
- Otherwise just roll to simple round balls.
- After making shapes, grease the cookie/muffin pan with oil/butter and place the rolled buns.
- Again rest it for 30 mins, brush the top with milk+butter mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and bake for 12 mins or buns turn light golden brown.
- After taking out from oven, immediately apply butter on top…
Serve with your favorite spread, We had it with fat free cream cheese…
Tomorrow I am going to post egg based dinner rolls with different shapes, stay tuned…
Taste wise , the plain buns are similar to our authentic south Indian soft round buns…