Yields – 10 Cup Cakes Approx
APF/Maida – 1 Cup
*Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 1/3 Cup
Pumpkin Puree – 3/4 Cup (I used Homemade Puree)
Unsalted butter – 1 Stick (1/2 Cup or 8 Tbsp at Room temperature)
Baking Powder – 1tsp (I used Double Acting)
Baking Soda – 1/2tsp
Instant Coffee/Espresso Powder – 1 Tbsp (I Used Nescafe)
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 – 3/4th Cup
Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
Milk – 1/4 Cup or more to attain batter consistency
*You can reduce cocoa powder a bit when using strong coffee powder.
Instead of pumpkin puree you can go for yogurt or sour cream in that case increase 1/4tsp of baking soda.
I used melted mini whole marshmallows icing and butter cream frosting for those cupcakes and shared both the pictures.
Frosting with Small Whole Marshmallows
Unsalted butter (room temperature) – 1/2 Stick
Confectioners Sugar – 1 Cups
Mini Marshmallows – 1/2 Cup
Milk -2 Tbsp or More
Gems to decorate
Butter Cream frosting
Confectioners’/Icing Sugar – 1 n 1/2 cups
Unsalted Butter – 3/4th Stick (6 Tbsp)
Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
Water/Milk – Few Tbsps
Method to make Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tin with holders.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt (Pic1).
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar (Pic 1) until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add Pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and beat until just combined (Pic 2).
- Beat in flour mixture in batches, add few tbsps of milk for batter consistency (Pic 3), but i didn’t add so.
- Pour batter into cupcake holders (Pic 4).
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 15-22 minutes (Pic 5).
Method to make Marshmallow Frosting
- Add hot milk to marshmallows and toss well, keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- This way the marshmallows become tender and easily blend with butter n sugar later.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter,sugar and soaked marshmallows together.
- If needed add more sugar and continue to mix until frosting is proper fluffy consistency.
- Regular marshmallows contain less than 2% of gelatin also you can go for vegan marshmallows.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar, softened butter, vanilla and few drops of milk/water to achieve frosting consistency.
For the Mummy cup cake Decoration
- Place frosting into a piping bag, cut the tip off or use plain basket tip and pipe onto cupcakes to create mummy effect (no need for a fancy tip unless of course you want to use one!)
- While frosting is still wet, press 2 colored gems (letter side down) of the same color on each cupcake to create the eyes as shown in above picture.