Baguette is a symbol of French culture and it’s well known for it all around the world. This Baguette bread is a staple food of French people n usually they start the day with it. Thanks to Priya sis for introducing me to this French Baking. She suggested 4 recipes for this month Home Bakers Challenge among them i chose this baguette recipe. The dough making is similar to pizza dough but this is a pure water based bread, also these breads are steam baked (ie baked under boiling water in the oven), let’s check the recipe in detail.
Recipe Source :- Paprikas
All purpose flour or Bread flour – 2 Cups
Active dry yeast – 1 and 1/4 tsp
Luke warm water – 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
- Take the active dry yeast with lukewarm water in a cup, mix well and keep aside until its turns foamy.
- Take the flour and salt in a large bowl, add in the foamy yeast and mix tout with your fingers.
- Drop the dough on a working surface, knead well for 10-15 minutes until the dough turns soft and smooth.
- Take the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a towel, keep it in a warm place for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 2-3 balls, take a ball and roll as a ball, dust the working surface with a teaspoon of flour.
- Flatten the ball with your palm and finger to form a small rectangle like shaped disc gently(Step 1 below).
- Bring the opposite edges to the center (Step 2 & 3) of the rectangle, press it well (Pic 4).
- Again flatten it slightly(Pic 5), fold n bring slightly towards you and press the edges well with your palm (Pic 6).
- Roll the dough now well to form a baguette (please refer the picture for rolling the baguette, also refer note for youtube video link).
- Place it over a flour dusted thick cloth, repeat the same process with the remaining dough and arrange them one after one over the flour dusted cloth.
- Cover this unbaked baguette with a humid cloth and keep in a warm place for an hour until they gets raised.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 240°C.
- Brush the baguettes with water and make slashes quickly with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle few flour over the baguettes.
- Keep a bowl filled water inside the oven, bring the oven temperature to 420°F or 220°C and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let them cool completely on wire rack.
- I referred this YouTube link to make this baquettes as this is my first attempt…
- The steam baked baguettes will be hard on top, if needed you can apply little butter after taking out from the oven, for kids sake i did so…