I totally inspired by the double lemon cheesecake bars published in Better Homes and Garden Magazine, April 2014 Edition. I adapted the recipe to egg less version. In Summer you get plenty of lemons and this chilled Lemon Cheesecake bars/squares with lemon glaze are apt one to try in this scratching summer. You can see the recipe in that magazine at page 135, I have also provided the recipe link below.
Recipe Source :- Adapted from Kraftrecipes
Yields :- 16 Squares
Graham Crackers/Vanilla Wafers/Digestive Biscuits – 1 Cup + 1 Tbsp
Butter or Margarine, melted – 2 and 1/2 Tbsp
Cream Cheese, softened – 2 package (8 oz. each, I use PHILADELPHIA brand)
Sugar, divided – 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp
All Purpose Flour – 2 Tbsp
Lemon Juice, divided – 3 Tbsp
Lemon Zest – 1/2 Tbsp
Vanilla Extract – 1/4tsp
Cornstarch – 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
Water – 1/4 Cup
Green and Yellow Food Color – 1 Drop each for the glaze (Optional)
- Line 8×8 or 9 inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides(Pic 1, in stepwise pictures below).
- Mix Graham Crackers/Wafer crumbs and butter until blended; press onto bottom of prepared pan(Pic 2).
- Bake in oven at 325ºF for 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, 1/2 Cup of sugar, Flour, lemon zest, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over crust(Pic 3) and level it (Pic 4).
- Bake at 325ºF for 25-30 minutes or until center is almost set (Pic 5).
- Cool for 1 hour in room temperature and then refrigerate for 4 hours to set.
- Mix cornstarch and remaining sugar in medium saucepan; gradually stir in water and remaining lemon juice until blended.
- Bring just to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir until clear and thickened.
- Add food colors and stir constantly till it attains thick paste consistency, Cool slightly (Pic 6).
- Spoon lemon glaze over cheesecake(Pic 7) and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Using foil handles to remove cheesecake from pan before cutting to serve.
- Cut in to equal squares (Pic 8) and serve/enjoy chilled.
- Garnish (Optional) with 1/2 cup blueberries, lemon peel and fresh mint leaves.
- Lemon glaze can be prepared ahead of time, cool, then refrigerate up to 8 hours before spooning over individual slices of cheesecake.