Eggless Homemade Graham Crackers
Graham crackers or Digestive Biscuits are made from whole wheat flour that has not been sifted. It were originally invented in the early 1800s by a Presbyterian minister by the name of Sylvester Graham, who introduced this and believed that a vegetarian diet attained by home-made whole grain bread made of natural stone ground and coarsely ground whole wheat flour at home keeps people healthy. Later his followers created graham flour, graham crackers, and graham bread in US and marketed; Graham did not invent these products nor profit from them. I have made it few months back for the cheesecake purpose and mentioned it in the recipe HERE, you can check the recipe how I powdered these crackers and made crust or base for cheesecake with step by step pictorial. I have taken ample time to post the cracker recipe, sorry for the delay ☺.
According to Wiki.
Yields 12-15 cookies as shown here, since I made it for cheesecake purpose I made it big size.
Ingredients for Eggless Homemade Graham Crackers
Graham flour or Whole Wheat Flour – 1and 3/4 Cup
Unbleached All Purpose Flour/Maida – 3/4 Cup
Unsalted Cold Butter – 1 Stick (8 tablespoons, cut into small pieces)
Honey – 2 Tbsp
Molasses – 1 Tbsp (you can use Jaggery syrup or plain sugar syrup or Honey here)
Water – 3 Tbsp
Sugar – 1/4 Cup
Salt – 1/2tsp
Baking Powder – 1tsp
Cinnamon – 1 and 1/2tsp (I prefer strong flavor, you can reduce to 1tsp)
Additional sugar, for sprinkling
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add cube cold butter and using fork just break it in the flour to get crumbly texture as shown in picture 1 below.
- Add honey, molasses and water make it firm yet pliable dough as shown in picture 2.
- Wrap the dough and chill it for 40-45 minutes until the dough turns firm.
- Anyways I am going to powder it for crust, if you have the same plan just roll the chilled dough over the parchment paper using rolling pin.
- Transfer the parchment as it is to a cookie pan or sheet(Pic 3).
- Adjust the edges and use cookie cutter to make some patterns (Pic 3, I have used 2 and 1/2 inch square cookie cutter).
- The edges I left it as it and I powdered them after baked.
- In preheated oven bake at 350 F /180 C for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and use as desired, leftovers do store in airtight container for later use.
- I have shown how I used for mini cheese cake bites..do click the image for the recipe.