You can get crispy potato fry in less than 10 minutes with less oil when you follow this simple recipe. Semi/Half boiled potatoes are what we need for this fry, hence you should keep an eye while cooking the potatoes and if it turns mushy/well cooked then don’t worry try the authentic South Indian Potato Podimas out of it.
Potatoes – 2 Numbers (Large, as shown in Pic 1 below)
Fennel Seeds – 1tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4tsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Salt and Oil – As Needed
- Soak the potatoes in water for 5-10 minutes, so that its easy to clean mud coated over it.
- You can cook in well boiled water for 5-8 minutes (half boil) or pressure cook with enough water for a whistle (i do so).
- Let them cool completely (Pic 1).
- Peel the skin and cut in to cubes as shown in pic 1.
- In a pan/kadai add 2-2n1/2 Tbsp Oil, when its hot add fennel seeds reduce flame then add turmeric powder and 3/4th of the red chili powder (Pic 2).
- Add the cubed potatoes and mix well so that chili coats all over the potatoes(Pic 3).
- Cook in low-medium flame stir until the potato edges turn crisp (Pic 4).
- When the potatoes are well cooked and crisp, add remaining red chili powder if required and salt to taste then remove from flame
- Goes well with Tomato Rasam, Tamarind Rice, Puli Kuhambu kind off tangy foods.