Evaporated milk was lying over my pantry for more than a month and recently utilized by baking
this yummilicious cake. In detail this Milk Cake/Tres Leches (In Spanish) is a
butter free sponge cake later soaked in three kinds of milk. Finally the soaked
cake is topped with whipped cream and optional fruits. This is a true delight for kids and you can make it in advance and refrigerate for birthday party or get together.
Recipe Source :- Foodnetwork
Yields – 12 Servings
I have used 9X13 Cake Pan
All Purpose Flour/Maida – 2 Cups
Eggs, separated – 6 Numbers (Large)
Granulated Sugar – 2 Cups (1 n 1/4 Cup only I used)
Baking Powder – 2tsp
Whole Milk – 1/2 Cup
Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
Cubed Fresh Fruits or Canned Fruits – Few To decorate
Evaporated Milk – 1 – 14 ounce Can (or) 1n1/4 Cup (You can just boil 2 cups of whole milk for 8-10 minutes in low flame after it foams)
Sweetened condensed milk – 1 – 14 Ounce Can or 1n1/4 Cup
Heavy Cream – 1 Cup
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or apply parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and keep aside.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks keep aside (Pic 1).
- In a wide bowl add half of the sugar and egg yolks (Pic 1 and Pic 2) one at a time, beating well after the addition of each.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Finally add vanilla extract, blend well (Pic 3).
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the egg whites on low speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining sugar gradually with the mixer running and peak to stiff peaks (Pic 3).
- Fold the egg whites to egg yolk mixture in two batches (Pic 4) and gently mix using spatula (Pic 5).
- Drop the cake batter in the prepared pan(Pic 6), tap it and bake until golden, 20 minutes (Stepwsie Pic 2 below).
To make the cream topping:
- In a blender, combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream and blend on high speed for a minute or two not more than that.
- Otherwise just mix all the three milks using spatula or hand whisk till incorporated well (Pic 1 below).
- Remove the cake from the oven, remove the parchment paper if any by fliping the cake.
- In the same cake pan transfer the cake and poke the cake all over using fork (Pic 3).
- While cake is still warm, pour the cream mixture over it (Pic 3).
- Let sit and cool to room temperature (Pic 4).
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
To make the icing:
Powdered/Icing Sugar – 1 Cup or More
Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream – 1n1/2 Cups
Vanilla Extract – 3/4tsp
Cream of tartar – 1/2tsp (optional)
- For whipped cream topping you need above ingredients.
- Beat the whipping cream to soft peaks then add sugar, vanilla extract and beat till it reaches stiff peaks.
- Refrigerate till use.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the icing evenly across the top (Pic 5 above).
- Arrange the fruits over it and make slices and serve.
- Serve chill since the cake has loads of milk don’t keep it at room temperature for long time.