We celebrated the last two years of Christmas with cakes made out of these Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe and this year also I made cake using the same recipe and also made several bakes as shown in the picture at the end of the post. This is a fail proof recipe and planned previous years to post this recipe on time ie before Christmas but for some reason it didn’t happen. I posted the cake pictures in social media , since then there are several requests
from friends and followers asking the recipe in detail, sorry I couldn’t post on time but I am happy that I could pull it at least this year on time. I postponed this recipe like the one I recently posted Creamisicle Orange Cupcakes. One main reason for not posting the recipes as promised is lack of time for video editing. It takes me a world for each and every post and have to sit in my free hour if I get so in a week or once in two weeks.
I am busy with more bakings and so today I will share a pic with the 2020 baked goodies collection with recipe link in couple of hours. So keep watching this space.
Happy Christmas 🎂 ☃️ 🎄 ❄️🎅🤶🎁💐and happy holidays 🎉😊Jump to Recipe
My Christmas Bakes
Baking with Whole grain flour is quite challenging for beginners do feel free to use flours and sugar as per your wish. Will be posting few Whole grain healthy bakes for this Christmas and I may not get time to share in the social medias so if interested do check the below categories for my future baking recipes or for existing collections.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Video Demostration
In the Video Tutorial I have shown two detailed methods and both are Instant Fruit Boiling Versions only. The first method was taken two years back with wheat flour (atta) and brown sugar combo , prepared the batter using hand whisk, has homemade spice mix and jaggery syrup (easy way by boiling jaggery/brown sugar with water), on the whole it was rich in fruits. Yes for 2 cups of flour I have taken 2.75 cups of fruits , Tutti Frutti and Nuts before boiling it :-).
The Second method is Raw Sugar Cane based Whole Wheat Cake using homemade Spice Mix, Homemade Molasses with a very clear video, also prepared the batter in hand mixer. For 1 Cup flour I used 1 Cup of fruits and nuts before boiling it.
Know About Flour
I always prefer whole grain flour in baking and cooking. Whole grain flour has bran , germ and endosperm which is coarse in texture. You can use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour/Graham Flour for this recipe as well. Here I used Whole grain flour but I didn’t use the whole grain flour as it is. I sifted the whole grain flour and took the very fine flour alone and the rest I use in muffins, waffles, cookies etc.
Why I chose Wheat Flour
I chose wheat flour because unlike pastry cakes this fruit cake is a dense and moist cake with loads of mixed fruits in it. Well we are addicted to the taste of the whole wheat flour as well but the results are markedly different from white flour cakes. If you and your family are not used to whole wheat, I would recommend replacing half the white flour in a recipe like 50:50 Wheat flour : All purpose flour or 50:50 Cake Flour:Wheat flour or 100% all purpose flour any combo works.
I used a hard red wheat flour to bake this cake so the other flours will definitely turn out so good and better than this 🙂
You might noticed nowadays I use unrefined sugar in most of my baking recipes and in specific Raw Cane Sugar or Coconut Sugar or Jaggery powder/Unrefined Brown Sugar. If I am posting any white sugar recipes, they may be old or done for someone who preferred so and don’t curse me please🤣. I always use sugar in reduced quantity, which is accepted by my under 11 years old kiddos. But you can adjust with the mentioned sugar 1/3 cup plus 1-2 tbsp.
This recipe is for one 6″ cake of 2″ height. If you double the recipe then bake in one 8″ or 9″ single cake pan of 2″ height. So when you double either bake in two separate pans at 350F, which is the right temperature for 1/2 filled cake pan. If it is 3/4th filled in one pan do increase the height of the pan using parchment paper and bake @350F/180C, also in case if you see cracks on top do decrease the temperature to 325F/170C and cover top of cake with aluminum foil otherwise cake gets crack on top when you bake for a long time in a crowded pan. I would prefer 325F/170C for crowded pan.Jump to Recipe
Replacement for Chemical Agents
1 tsp Baking powder = 1/4 tsp Baking soda + 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar OR (1 tsp Vinegar or 1.25 Lemon Juice) So for
2 tsp baking powder = 1/2 tsp Baking Soda + 1 tsp Cream of Tartar OR (2 tsp Vinegar or 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice )
Note 1 Tbsp = 3 tsp
Double-acting Vs Single-acting Baking Powder
Can use the exactly same amount of double-acting baking powder as you would single-acting baking powder. The difference between the two types of powder is their chemical composition and whether they produce the carbon dioxide gas bubbles that make your baked goods rise when the ingredients are mixed or when the product is heated in the oven. Both types of baking powder produce the same amount of gas, so they are equally effective as leavening agents. Single-acting baking powder reacts with a water-based ingredient to form bubbles as soon as the ingredients are mixed.
If you wait too long to bake your food or mix it too long these bubbles will escape and your food will fall flat. Double-acting baking powder produces some bubbles when the ingredients are mixed, but most of the rising occurs once heat is applied. This product is more reliable for home baking because it is harder to over beat the ingredients and the recipe is less susceptible to fail if you forgot to preheat your oven. Because it is practically fail safe, this is the type of baking powder most often found in stores. Source Chemistry.com.
Homemade Spice Mix Recipe
Ingredients (100gms powder)
Cinnamon (1 part), Fresh or dry ginger (1 part), cloves (1/4 part), Whole peppercorns (1/4 part) and cardamom (1/4 part) , salt – 1/2tsp, sugar – 3 tbsp
Cinnamon – 3″ of 12-15 Numbers (150gms)
Cloves – 3/4 Tbsp
Whole Pepper – 1.25 tsp
Cardamom – 8-10 Numbers
Fresh Ginger – 150grams/ replace with dry ginger powder
Salt – 1/2tsp
All Spice/Nutmeg Powder – 2.5 Tbsp
- Split Cinnamon rolls in to tiny pieces as possible(pic 1).
- Add whole cloves, nutmeg, whole pepper, Cardamom and a pinch of salt.
- Dry roast the ingredients in hot pan untill Cinnamon is crisp or you get nice aroma(pic 2).
- Either use ginger powder or fresh ginger to make Spice Mix.
- i used fresh ginger, peel the skin, wash ,dry then grate in a veg grater.
- You can share dry the grated ginger until it turns dry & crispy.
- For quicker version I squeezed ginger juice , sauteed the rest in low flame and once it turned crispy removed from heat.
- Add ginger (pic 3) to the previously fried other stuff , add 2 tbsp sugar and powder well.
- Use small hole strainer attached sifter, sift the ground powder(pic 4) and if needed grind residue(pic 5) couple more times
- I didn’t have whole nutmeg or powder so used a portion of “All Spice Mix” which has nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon.
- Let them cool and store in an air tight container(pic 6).
How to Prepare Caramelized Sugar Syrup
Either you can prepare molasses or sugar syrup. I detailed both the methods in the video at the end and explaining the same here.
Molasses is heating the sugar with less water to make the sugar change to dark color/caramelize. This method is quicker than the liquid method, as soon as the sugar is exposed to heat, it begins to release liquid, and then the caramelization begins quickly (the video is super clear for beginners do check it out at the end of this post). Also unlike the next method you have to keep a careful eye on the progress of the sugar and stir sparingly.
- Take 1cup cane sugar/regular sugar in a wide flat bottom pan(pic 1).
- Add 2tbsp water to it (pic 1) and bring to boil in low medium flame.
- At one stage the sugar dissolves (pic 2) and gets into liquid.(pic 3).
- Once it foams (pic 4) then it forms a thick later on top and sides slowly gets caramelized(refer video).
- Keep stirring on and off otherwise it stick to pan(pic 5).
- The entire sugar caramelize (pic 6) and changwe to dark brown as shown in pic 7&8.
- By this time pan is super hot remove from heat and carefully add 6tbsp water (1 cup yields 1/2 cup molasses).
- It splashes(pic 9), it cooks for a while in that high temperature, keep stirring or place on cold water to not cook further then filter the impurities and use this in the cake as as recipe calls (pic 10).
While adding water be caution and better to stay away from direct contact. Now the molasses/caramel syrup is ready. How to use this is discussed in the next sub heading.
Brown Sugar Syrup / Molasses
Its an easy version just boil sugar with a little more quantity of water.
- Take 1.25 cup water for 1 cup unrefined jaggery/brown sugar/nattu sarkarai (pic 1).
- Bring to boil and once sugar dissolves, (pic 2) filter the impurities and again bring it to boil once it foams and thickens do boil the fruits.
- Boiling fruits (pic 3&4) method is discussed in the next sub heading.
How to boil dry fruits
This is no soak and instant fruit cake aka boiling fruit method. I love this version compared to the traditional one. In case if you like to soak fruits in for days do check this POST.
- Take 1/2 portion of prepared caramel syrup plus 1/2-3/4 cup water, mix it well (Pic 3 below), this dilluting prepared syrup is not to make the dry fuits too sugary while boiling.
- Make sure you measure the assorted dry fruits for the recipe (Pic 3 above &Pic 1 below)
- Add the dry fruits, you can chop prunes, fig in to tiny pieces, Pic 2 below).
- Allow the fruits to boil for 8-10 minutes in low medium flame until they plump (pic 4).
- Don’t add dates and tutti frutti while boiling.
- Also this fruit boiled syrup if it’s thick like shown in the video do use in the recipe along with reserved caramel to bring the cake batter to right consistency.
- Immediately filter and separate fruits and syrup apart. Mix the syrup with already reserved caramelized sugar, allow to cool and use in the cake batter.
With Brown Sugar syrup, same like above, I didn’t take a portion of syrup but if you feel too sweet do reserve half portion of syrup and dilute remaining with 1/2 cup water and then boil the fruits.
Can plump the fruits in boiling plain water as well and use the prepared caramel syrup in the cake batter preparation directly. If you make a gooey cake batter then fruits sink in the bottom, I never had that problem since the batter is of right consistency and if you follow this way of batter preparation then there is no chance of sinking fruits in the bottom of the cake pan.
The advantage of boiling fruits is its a very time saving process and the natural sweetness from fruits comes out while boiling , so you can use a limited caramel and rest do adjust with butter milk or milk for the batter consistency.
Once you are ready with above important ingredients do start making the cake batter.
How much fruits you need for a fruit cake?
Some like light fruits in the fruit cake, some like more so I am mentioning what is light, medium and more quantity for this recipe.
Light – For 1 Cup Flour, 1 Cup Mixed Dry Fruits including tutti frutti and chopped nuts before Boiling/Soaking.
Medium – For 1 Cup Flour, 1.5 Cups of Mixed Fruits including tutti frutti and chopped nuts before Boiling/Soaking.
High – For 1 Cup Flour, 1.75-2 Cups of Mixed Fruits including tutti frutti and chopped nuts before Boiling/Soaking.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Batter Preparation
- Once the caramel and fruit mixture cool down start preparing the cake batter.
- Grease your cake pans with butter and cover the bottom and sides with parchment paper or just dust with flour (pic 1).
- If using non stick cake pan then no need to use any parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl add together all the dry ingredients like Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt(Pic 4) and spice powder (pic 5).
- Also pic 2 is sifting flour from whole grain wheat flour .
- Once done measure 2 cup from it(pic 3).
- Melt the butter, when its lukewarm or cold add oil to it(pic 6).
- Add the prepared caramel (pic 6) or brown sugar syrup and mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients in batches (pic 7) and mix until combined.
- Dry Ingredient should be alternated ie the flour with Orange juice and Butter Milk (pic 8).
- Add the boiled and syrup filtered fruits (pic 9).
- Give a gentle and quick stir with hand blender for the fruits to mix with batter (Pic 10) or use spatula from here
- Add Orange Zest, Tutti Frutti, Chopped Dates, coarsely powdered or chopped Nuts and smoothly combine everything together (Pic 11).
- Add the cake batter into your prepared cake pans (Pic 12) and level it.
- With some decorations on bottom and top of the pan (Pic 13) like glazed cherries and almonds, do bake in preheated oven at 350F/180 C for 25-30 minutes or till its done.
- If you double the recipe then the baking time varies check “Baking Temperature” sub heading for more details.
- Once done leave it on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes (Pic 14).
- Now turn upside down and peel the parchment paper(pic 15 &16).
- Its indeed a perfect bake 😊.
- Turn it back and allow to cool completely.
- You may use different size pan so the baking temperature varies, it should leave the sides and the cake tester inserted at center should comes out clean.
- If the cake batter is too gooey/ runny then fruits sink in the bottom.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Ingredients
If you double the recipe double everything except baking soda. It remains 1/2tsp and only baking powder you have to double.
One – 6″ Width 2″ Height Cake Pan
Double the Recipe for 1- 8 or 9″ Width 2″ height Cake
Wheat Flour/White Pastry Flour – 1 Cup (Minus 1 Tbsp & can replace 1/4 flour with almond/cashew meal)
Cornstarch – 1 Tbsp
Assorted Dry Fruits – 1/2 Cup to 3/4 Cup
Tutti Frutti/Candied Fruits – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Orange Zest – 1.5tsp
Spice Mix – 1.5tsp
Unsalted Melted Butter / Vegan Butter – 4 Tbsp
Flavorless Oil – 2 Tbsp
Fresh Cranberries, Cherries, Almonds – To decorate
Chopped Almonds and Cashew Nuts -2 Tbsp Each
Prepared Molasses – 1/4-1/3 Cup (From 3/4 Cup Jaggery/ Cane Sugar)
Thick Butter Milk / Soy Milk – 2 Tbsp or As needed
Orange Juice – 1/4 Cup
Baking Powder – 3/4tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2tsp
Salt – 1/4tsp
Christmas Fruit Cake Video Tutorial
Christmas Fruit Cake Print Card
- Wheat Flour/White Pastry Flour – 1 Cup Minus 1 Tbsp can replace 1/4 cup flour with almond/cashew meal
- Cornstarch – 1 Tbsp
- Assorted Dry Fruits – 1/2 Cup to 3/4 Cup
- Tutti Frutti/Candied Fruits – 2 Tbsp Optional
- Orange Zest – 1.5tsp
- Spice Mix – 1.5tsp
- Unsalted Melted Butter – 4 Tbsp
- Flavorless Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Fresh Cranberries Cherries, Almonds – To decorate
- Chopped Almonds and Cashew Nuts -2 Tbsp Each
- Prepared Molasses – 1/4-1/3 Cup From 3/4 Cup Jaggery/Sugar
- Thick Butter Milk / Soy Milk – 2 Tbsp or As needed
- Orange Juice – 1/4 Cup
- Baking Powder – 3/4tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2tsp
- Salt – 1/4tsp
Once the caramel and fruit mixture cool down start preparing the cake batter.
Grease your cake pans with butter and cover the bottom and sides with parchment paper or just dust with flour.
If using non stick cake pan then no need to use any parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl add together all the dry ingredients like Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spice powder.
Once done measure 2 cup from it.
Melt the butter, when its lukewarm or cold add oil to it..
Add the prepared caramel or brown sugar syrup and mix well.
Add in the dry ingredients in batches and mix until combined.
Alternate the flour with Orange juice and Butter Milk.
Add the boiled and syrup filtered fruits.
Give a gentle and quick stir with hand blender for the fruits to mix with batter or use spatula from here
Add Orange Zest, Tutti Frutti, Chopped Dates, coarsely powdered or chopped Nuts and smoothly combine everything together.
Add the cake batter into your prepared cake pans and level it.
With some decorations on bottom and top of the pan bake in preheated oven at 350F/180 C for 25-30 minutes or till its done.
If you double the recipe then the baking time varies check “Baking Temperature” sub heading for more details.
Once done leave it on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
Now turn upside down and peel the parchment paper.
Its indeed a perfect bake 😊.
Turn it back and allow to cool completely.
You may use different size pan so the baking temperature varies, it should leave the sides and the cake tester inserted at center should comes out clean.
If the cake batter is too gooey/ runny then fruits sink in the bottom.